• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Best air purifiers

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Please post your personal experiences with air purifiers (ones you've owned & used successfully with birds). I'd appreciate a make & model, so as to compile a list of potential ones.

I'm not interested in the ones that give off Ozone or anything else vile.

Thanks in advance. :)

redindiaink

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Austin Air, Rabbit Air and IQAir seems to be the front runners, but I'd add Honeywell. We use Austin Air Jr. The filter is guaranteed to last five years, but it needs replacing before that they prorate the replacement.

And, I'd be really wary of anything new or innovative. He brought home a Phillips 1000 which has since been discontinued. I stockpiled a few charcoal and HEPA filters when they were on sale, but thus far I haven't been able to find a substitute so it might wind up at the recycler after only two years of use.

Blueberry

Real Name
Lulu
I have IQ air and it works amazingly well! Do not recommend the Dyson hot and cold air purifier. The dyson air purifier malfunctioned multiple times (replacements they sent ) and black smoke came out. I think there is a design/technological error.!The first time it happened I luckily woke up to the smell.

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I have 2 Oransi Mod purifiers, and like the way they look, how quiet they are, and their claimed effectiveness, but will refrain from recommending them until I can actually test and verify those claims. Anecdotally, I've observed the house doesn't smell like chilli for as long as it used to after I've made a batch, but that's not very scientific (plus... always use your range hood kids!).

I've pre-ordered the new Airthings View Plus, which has continuous measurement of multiple aspects of air quality, including particulate matter, down to PM2.5, so I'm hoping to verify things soon. For example, what's the typical air quality when I run the purifiers on low, medium or high... what are the measurements immediately after I cook something, or vaccuum, etc, and how long does it take to get back to normal? I'm very curious about IAQ and looking forward to measuring it.

Joe Henderson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Joe Henderson
I have a. Air pura g serries with special carbon for those sensitive to smell ( works good) and an iq air which if used in a small room like a bedroom gives off its own weird smell it also make my nose stuffy not a fan I use it on low sometimes ( or I use it in the kitchen / dinning it’s big enough not to get the smell it makes

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
I use a dyson pure hot+cool air purifier. You can check the VOC, pm2, pm10 and all sorts of other things remotely via the app and controll the purifier. It has something like a jet streat technology so it circulates the air very nicely, doesn't just purify the air that is around it. It whistles a bit though and I heard it is a common problem. Some models contain teflon but not this one so make sure to check. I think the humidifiers have teflon.

Joe Henderson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Joe Henderson
I use a dyson pure hot+cool air purifier. You can check the VOC, pm2, pm10 and all sorts of other things remotely via the app and controll the purifier. It has something like a jet streat technology so it circulates the air very nicely, doesn't just purify the air that is around it. It whistles a bit though and I heard it is a common problem. Some models contain teflon but not this one so make sure to check. I think the humidifiers have teflon.
The new humidifiers from dyson do, I didn’t think it was a big deal until I found out the uvc light reflects off the Teflon now I’m not to sure, which hp model do you have

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
The new humidifiers from dyson do, I didn’t think it was a big deal until I found out the uvc light reflects off the Teflon now I’m not to sure, which hp model do you have
Mine is a HP04 but mine doesn't have a humidifying function.

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
I have a germ guardian (UV button -optional), a Winix (has a plasma wave button) and two Levoit H13 (one small for the bird room with night cage and the other large for the living room with day bird cage). The first two are fine for non bird rooms and we do not use the UV anyways and great budget wise. The Levoits are great and also affordable. I bought these separately at different times for various rooms and would probably pick a higher end full house one if I could and had it to do all over again.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Rabbit all the way! I don’t think they make a bad rabbit.
My first Rabbit (BioGS) had an issue. It kept turning off in auto mode.
Took it over to Rabbit service center and they gave me a replacement (was still within
warranty period) and that worked fine at first but then started doing the same thing so I just don't use it in auto mode.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I investigated these further & have bought a Rabbitair Minus A2. I hope it will spare me any future health problems due to birds. As they say, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Thank you all for your advice. :)