• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bent then broken tail feather

RiccaE

Strolling the yard
My baby GCC had a bent tail feather. It was roughly a 45 degree angle for a few days. Today when I changed his cage bottom, I noticed the feather had either broken off at the bend mark, or did he maybe chew it off? Is it normal for a bent feather to break off and will he be okay with just the piece left attached?

Lesley Yeung

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lesley
Yup. No more blood flow to that feather. It would be bleeding copiously if it were a blood feather.

While a feather is growing, it has blood flowing through it. Breaking or cutting one is like opening a vein. But once the feather is fully formed the blood no longer has to feed it.

Farlie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Rick
It'll be just fine. Don't fret. :)

RiccaE

Strolling the yard
It'll be just fine. Don't fret. :)
Thank you:) I do fret over this little guy who has stolen my heart these last few weeks. Having a bird is so new to me and different from say a dog. I have so many questions and the place where I got him from probably thinks I am crazy, lol. "Oh this crazy lady is calling again".

RiccaE

Strolling the yard
Yup. No more blood flow to that feather. It would be bleeding copiously if it were a blood feather.

While a feather is growing, it has blood flowing through it. Breaking or cutting one is like opening a vein. But once the feather is fully formed the blood no longer has to feed it.
Yes, definitely no blood and full feather it was. I just wasn't sure if it's normal to fall off and whatnot. I just love him and want to make sure I'm doing everything I can for him, the right way:):)

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
Actually, these guys are pretty tough but delicate. Does that make sense?

RiccaE

Strolling the yard
Actually, these guys are pretty tough but delicate. Does that make sense?
It does. He falls off of things in his cage sometimes when he gets super wound and lands on the bottom (how the feather got bent in the first place) and he just runs back up his ladder like it's nothing. He's 2.5 months old.

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
Oh, I got him when he was 5 months old. I've only had him a short while. His cage used to have lots of toys in it but he's turned into a Navy Ship... a Destroyer. :rofl: I've bought a number of toy parts and keep putting what's left together again to make a new toy. Unfortunately, it takes 2 to 3 torn up toys to make 1 good one. That's backsliding I'm afraid. Come payday I'll add a few new toys back to the collection to be torn up again. It's never-ending... :arghh:

Reactions: Jas