• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bent head

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I've noticed that Merlin keeps his head to the side and his flying has become very poor these last 2 days. I thought maybe he'd crash in the wall but searching on the internet people with a similar case say their bird had infection (due to contact with new birds from the store) or a stroke or trouble with their ear but then there was also blood or pus leaking and bad balance. I can't feel anything wrong around his head/neck either.

Merlin is his old self, eating and interacting normally with Nova, but he's lost some weight. Nova has also gone down although they get plenty of food and don't eat it up. She just went through a molt though so that would be normal for her.

Had anyone had a similar case? I have of course considered going to the vet but then it's closed during the long week end, and my avian vet hasn't been helpful in the past so I feel I might get more help from here..

20220604_134128.jpg
He is also sleeping with his head bent instead of on his back... 20220604_161339.jpg

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
You really need professional help from the vet. If you call the vet office, you can find out if you can switch vets and schedule an appointment.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
You really need professional help from the vet. If you call the vet office, you can find out if you can switch vets and schedule an appointment.
Thanks, but this vet is the only avian vet around so not possible to switch.. :( Birds are not so high on the pet list here.

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
For vets I have to travel about an hour into a different town. If I had to, I would travel even a larger distance. Don't forget to check your surrounding towns.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
For vets I have to travel about an hour into a different town. If I had to, I would travel even a larger distance. Don't forget to check your surrounding towns.
I live in the biggest town around.. Nr 4 in the country. Closest big one i 8 hours drive from here.

Last edited:

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
I've noticed that Merlin keeps his head to the side and his flying has become very poor these last 2 days. I thought maybe he'd crash in the wall but searching on the internet people with a similar case say their bird had infection (due to contact with new birds from the store) or a stroke or trouble with their ear but then there was also blood or pus leaking and bad balance. I can't feel anything wrong around his head/neck either.

Merlin is his old self, eating and interacting normally with Nova, but he's lost some weight. Nova has also gone down although they get plenty of food and don't eat it up. She just went through a molt though so that would be normal for her.

Had anyone had a similar case? I have of course considered going to the vet but then it's closed during the long week end, and my avian vet hasn't been helpful in the past so I feel I might get more help from here..

View attachment 408350
He is also sleeping with his head bent instead of on his back... View attachment 408351
Mark has had something similar in the past. He did not have a head tilt, but lost weight, acted abnormally, and couldn't fly. It is likely a stroke, or a brain tumor.
What I did for Mark, and what I would recommend, would be to separate him for a portion of his time to his own cage so he can eat and relax in peace. Let him eat all he wants. Monitor him and his weight. If he starts falling you will need to put towels at the bottom of the cage.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Mark has had something similar in the past. He did not have a head tilt, but lost weight, acted abnormally, and couldn't fly. It is likely a stroke, or a brain tumor.
What I did for Mark, and what I would recommend, would be to separate him for a portion of his time to his own cage so he can eat and relax in peace. Let him eat all he wants. Monitor him and his weight. If he starts falling you will need to put towels at the bottom of the cage.
Thanks for your answer, I will try that. Did Mark have a friend? When I try to separate Merlin and Nova they are so stressed they won't eat, only call eachother for hours. But I've had an eye on them the whole day, they've eaten and had many naps, I also gave them more seeds and they've eaten lots of them.. They are not tame but Merlin now lets me help and he would climb on my finger to be transported from one place to the other, which he never did before. He doesn't take unnecessary risks by trying to fly when he knows he will not manage.
Did you do anything for Mark to get better or did it heal on it's own?

Last edited:

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Thanks for your answer, I will try that. Did Mark have a friend? When I try to separate Merlin and Nova they are so stressed they won't eat, only call eachother for hours. But I've had an eye on them the whole day, they've eaten and had many naps, I also gave them more seeds and they've eaten lots of them.. They are not tame but Merlin now lets me help and he would climb on my finger to be transported from one place to the other, which he never did before. He doesn't take unnecessary risks by trying to fly when he knows he will not manage.
Did you do anything for Mark to get better or did it heal on it's own?
Yes Mark's buddy is Parker. Just put the cages side by side. It's just to keep an eye on him and make sure he is getting food. Their weight can drop quickly.
Mark overcame it himself in maybe a week or so. He still can't fly properly, only managing to glide.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
This can be a serious neurological issue. You should get him to a vet ASAP. Could be sinus or ear infection also. I cant say this strong enough he needs medical attention ASAP. Excuses will not get him well.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Good you got him checked out. It could have been a concussion which should heal in time. Birds have a very fragile skull when it comes to "crashing into" something.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I wonder if you could consult a certified online avian vet for a second opinion? I am unsure if that is an option for you but it may help.

Was to another vet this morning, they think it might be nevrologic but can't check it outit since he is so small :cautious:. He is blind in one eye (maybe I should change his name from Merlin to Odin now...:joyful:) but in good health otherwise. He still sings and climbs around so no pain nor infection. The vet was not very positive about the nevrological issue going away on its own but they don't have any help to offer.
His weight is still going down though so the only thing I can do is try and handfeed him and see how it goes.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Please update us once in a while.
Thanks for caring :)
Merlin is still alive and going strong, although he is still very thin. Force-feeding him was costing him more in stress and energy than he gained in food intake, so we stopped that pretty early. He is down to 35-36gr instead of his normal 40-42gr but he is behaving normally, singing,"eating" and moving around.
His flying is almost gone though, in addition to the lack of energy, one eye-flying isn't working that well. I had to arrange their place so that he can climb back up when he falls from the cage or if he wants to go from the cage and up in their tree. Just added an air mattress under the cage to soften any fall.
He adapts and finds new ways of doing things, accepting some help from time to time to be transported where he wishes to go. So all in all, it's working out. Just a bit worried about what to do with him if we take some vacation this Summer, but we'll see when and if the time comes.
20220618_215355.jpg

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Vacations and birds never seem to go together in my world. Thanks for doing such a good job with him. Have you tried Birdie Bread? Great way to gain weight and bake in the health veggies like the orange ones with Vit. A. Check out Avian Organics below the window for birdie bread mixes. They are great!

Thanks. I noticed that although he spends much time on the pellets bowl, he mostly grins them into powder, doesn't seem to ingest much for himself... they are very picky when it comes to food, anything new/different is scary :meh: but they have a great diet from before so I just increased the ratio of high energy food in it. They also get more seeds in the afternoon in the hope that he will go for them but it doesn't seem to change anything. At least he does seem to stabilise, hasn't gone more down these last 10 days, so there's that.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
poor little one.
It is difficult for veterinarians to help the tiny ones. Well done in getting 2 veterinarian consults. Impressed that you are monitoring weight!

I did have a budgie develop a head tilt after hitting his head in panic cage flight. His eyes would vibrate in place. He also became blind. Unfortunately also developed seizure. I managed him for a few months but passed from a seizure.

If this was trauma, my veterinarian advice with mine was cage rest. To not allow flying, to prevent blood pressure spikes, and more trauma. She said it could a month or more to recover if he was able too. And to keep him quiet and give it time.

While he was still alive , I found offering food in a large shallow dish very helpful. He could climb in and eat better with his head tilt. I used those shallow bird baths as food dish.

You might be able to get yours to eat the baby bird formula from a dish. My budgies will nibble baby bird formula. And that's a possibility for more calories and nutrition.

Supplemental warmth is also very beneficial. It saves them a lot of calories, and helps them heal. I use and only recommend radiant heat. There is the k&h cage warmer, and I use the sweeter heater as found on Amazon. The smallest size is more than enough and set back from the cage a few inches. It's something I will never be without, and has helped me nurse sick and injured birds ( with veterinarian medicine ) to recovery.