• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Belle

EmsyMarie

Meeting neighbors
Hello everyone so I have a new parrotlet called Belle. She is beautiful and very sweet and is completely hand tame. She is doing super well with veggies and fruit. However, every time I leave the room she starts screeching. I am really worried my neighbours will complain and am at a loss at what to do. She has a large cage with lots of toys. I have tried shushing her but it doesn’t help. Any ideas?

Attachments

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
She probably just wants attention. Maybe try leaving a radio or television on in the room the bird is in. Your bird looks really lovely by the way!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
She's lovely. The leaving the room screaming is tough. I usually call back once saying "you're okay" or something like that and then ignore the screams. It's normal for birds to contact call as you're her flock and she wants to know where you are but then there's also screaming for attention which you don't want to reinforce. It's a fine line. :)

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Contact calling is difficult to manage and there are different strategies. What I do is call back in a soft voice. My birds call because they view me as their flock and are concerned or worried where I have gone.. So I think it is kinder, for the birds, to call back.

I do not live in an apartment, but the neighboring house is pretty close and windows are left open a lot in the summer. Thus far no issue and I have 2 parrotlets and a plumhead. My neighbors didn't know I had birds until I asked them. Parrotlet voices can be noisy at times, and they shouldn't be underestimated, but they are actually much softer spoken than other species. Can you ask your neighbor if they hear your bird? They may not even know you have a bird and it might bring you peace of mind to know it doesn't bother them. Or if they say, 'Hey yeah that bird is a little bothersome.' Well then you know and we can think up some ideas for noise dampening that can help you live in a harmonious home. Birds will make noise, and you should embrace it as a sign of content and happy birds. Adding more fabric materials to your room in the short term can absorb some of the sound.