• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

being away from my bird over part of the summer

pubbykid

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
vincent
hello all !
i have a female ekkie whos about a year and a half now, I am in college and will be taking a summer study abroad class which will mean I will be away from my bird (who will be cared for back at home by my mother) for about 3.5 weeks.
the first issue is: my bird is very attached to me and doesn't like my mother much. My mother doesn't like to take out animals she cannot control and because my mother has put forth very little effort to know my bird and I am afraid she will not get her usual out-of-cage time (about 4 hours a day minimum).
the second issue I have: I live with my bird at school as she is an ESA and I have never been away from her for longer than a week. I know if she has constant out time and another bird friend she does fine (my friend who owns a cockatoo babysat her for around a week with his bird and she did fine), but if she doesn't have another bird or the ability to be out consistently and get attention, she barbers. I don't want her to start plucking since I know she gets stressed enough to barber in a span of 6 days.
I am not sure what I should do as she will be fed correctly (mostly, my mother does come and give her treats for no reason occasionally even after I told her to stop) but I am unsure about the amount of time she will receive out of the cage, especially since she is a strong flier and only responds to my recall.
any advice would be appreciated, my mother only owns canaries at the moment, and from what I've heard from her stories of owning parrots in the past Im not sure she is fully trustworthy in my bird's care.

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
When I was in college I had a similar experience except that I went to camp (for 8 weeks). I would recommend that you make sure you have a great supply of toys that can be rotated out. Also make sure that there are things to entertain her such as music, tv, or just being in a center room. You said your mother is not comfortable getting her out but can her cage be near the most action in the house so that she can get a lot of ambient attention. Perhaps you can set up for some zoom calls with the bird so he can hear your voice. My Walter did very well visiting for the summer with my friend but he was always a very adaptable soul and did not mind reduced out of cage time. Also I don't know what size cage you have but if they have to spend extra time in the cage, the bigger the better. Since you have some time, could you possibly work with your mom to find a way to make it easier for her to get her in/ out of her cage so that your bird can get out. You mentioned a friend, could your friend step in and help get the bird out for some time, or take your bird for a little mini vacation at her house during part of the time? Others my have some other ideas.

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
You might be better off finding a place that can take care of your ekkie while youre gone, who has knowledge of birds. Is that friend still available?

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
Maybe a vet who will board? Some of our small pet stores will also board or maybe a nearby rescue place can take her in in exchange for a donation or supplies…:think1:

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How long before you go away ? can you spend time with your bird and your mum out of the cage together ?

pubbykid

Real Name
vincent
How long before you go away ? can you spend time with your bird and your mum out of the cage together ?
unfortunately no because I will be home for about 2 days with my mother before I leave for my class

pubbykid

Real Name
vincent
Maybe a vet who will board? Some of our small pet stores will also board or maybe a nearby rescue place can take her in in exchange for a donation or supplies…:think1:
i, unfortunately, do not trust the store near me as I used to work there and I know how they board and she will not get taken out at all even though I know the people at the store well. I am hoping one of my old coworkers that know a lot about birds will be able to watch her at their house

haze

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
I have left my extremely attached bird in the care of my parents for similar situations in college. My experience with it was always just fine. Pepper settles in after about a day without me, and even though he does not trust my mother like he trusts me, he never freaks out or seems to get depressed. Let your mom know that she can have her step up on a stick if she feels fearful, or if she seems to be a bit agressive or scared.