• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Behaviour

Lilo

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Katie
Hi I have 2 lovebirds lilo and stitch. They were hand reared at 6 days old they are now 13 weeks old and fight a lot of the time they are in the cage would like some advise as to why they might be doing it. Also they are very tame and come out of the cage often they happy to climb over us but the last week or so as soon as they see skin they bite hard one bit my daughter now she is scared of them again looking for some advise to stop this before it comes to bad
Thank you

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If they are fighting, then they need to be housed separately.

One lovebird, or one bonded pair of lovebirds per cage only.

It is not as common for lovebirds so young to be fighting, but it does happen. Some will fight in the brooder.

It is normal they will be ¨beaking¨ things at this stage. They are learning their beaks and exploring. If you get a nip, put the bird down on the nearest bird safe surface and ¨ignore¨ them for a minute. If you have smaller children, try to be sure they copy you and ignore the bird for that same time. This will teach the bird that you do not accept this behaviour and that doing so will result in being ignored, they don´t like that.
Don´t cage them or take them far, the nearest safe place to put them down quickly is the best place.

As for bites, If you see the bird with their feathers raised and beak open faceing you, don´t try to approach as they will bite and funnily the best way to teach not to bite, is to not get bitten. So try your best to get out of the way of bites.

How come they were raised from 6 days old? Was there a problem?

Lilo

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Katie
Hi thank you I will try all of that and see if it helps. They were raised from then as the parents came out of the nest and didn’t go back there was a clutch of 5 but sadly 3 people assed away