• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Behaviour and housing help needed

Sarahferal

Moving in
Real Name
Sarah
Hi, I work at an animal shelter and we have some lovebirds with us I need some help with. We have one pair (Kiwi and Papaya), and one single (Mango) housed separately. Mango has been mostly friendly, but will give a good nip now and then. Until recently they were housed in separate buildings, but are now in the same room. Kiwi and Papaya are quite timid and took me awhile to finally get out of their cages for some exercise. One of them showed interest in Mango and would hang out on her cage and they seemed quite interested in each other. He would chase off the other if he tried to come near Mango. One day last week I saw Kiwi regurgitate and feed Mango, who then did the dance of love and I knew she was definitely a girl!

My concern is are we causing stress by housing them in the same area? We don't let them out together, although there was an escape and it's possible mating occurred. Should we separate them again into separate buildings? We obviously don't want to breed them, or cause any distress if they are upset they can't get to each other.

Thanks!

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
It's more likely it will help to have them in proximity. @Zara might have some suggestions about keeping them happy until they get homes. We're the separate buildings to quarantine? Have they been checked over by a vet?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
As long as there's no actual fighting I would not separate them. Were Kiwi and Papaya an actual pair or were they "just together" for whatever reason? They were not really mates if one of them has a roving eye. So again as long as there are no fights they will benefit from each others presence.

Sarahferal

Moving in
Real Name
Sarah
Kiwi and Papaya were found together in a bush. Clipped wings and look very similar, so possibly related? They were housed separately just for space reasons initially as we had lots of budgies as well at the time. We do keep our birds seperate initially in case of illness and they saw a vet as well. I haven't noticed any pecking, bald spots or other concerns. Mostly worried that they would be emotionally upset. And that when they are split eventually it would be hard on them.

Thank you for your advice, I love these little guys and just want them to be happy!

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the Avenue Sarah :)

Were Kiwi and Papaya an actual pair or were they "just together" for whatever reason?
I thought the same.
If they are not a true pair, then maybe Kiwi would be happier with Mango.
They will all be fine in the same room.

were found together in a bush. Clipped wings and look very similar, so possibly related?
Sounds and looks likely, in that case I would consider allowing Kiwi and Mango to be out together and see how things go.

Sarahferal

Moving in
Real Name
Sarah
He will chase off his pal if he/she gets too close to Mango. It's been quite interesting watching the two of them interact through the bars of her cage. Regurgitation feeding, some shaking tail feathers lots of new noises from Mango too.

Would allowing all three out together supervised be dangerous for the odd bird out? Maybe we'll get another loner and then everyone can have a mate!

My other concern is of course eggs. We've had single birds lay and remove them shortly after.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
He will chase off his pal if he/she gets too close to Mango.
Whio chases who? Kiwi chases Papaya?
Sounds like Kiwi wants to be with the other bird then.

What are Papaya and Kiwi like in their cage together? What do they do?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
He will chase off his pal if he/she gets too close to Mango. It's been quite interesting watching the two of them interact through the bars of her cage. Regurgitation feeding, some shaking tail feathers lots of new noises from Mango too.

Would allowing all three out together supervised be dangerous for the odd bird out? Maybe we'll get another loner and then everyone can have a mate!

My other concern is of course eggs. We've had single birds lay and remove them shortly after.
You’re the referee. I’d let them out supervised.

I would also look for someone to even the numbers.

Breeding and mating are not the same thing. You replace any eggs with fakes and you have effective birth control.

Sarahferal

Moving in
Real Name
Sarah
Initially they always stuck together. They were very scared of is for quite awhile. Now if I leave the cage door open they'll come out but no hands. When I have Mango out for her time they will have little squabbles in their cage. It's difficult to tell them apart they are almost identical so I can't tell who the instigator is.

Sarahferal

Moving in
Real Name
Sarah
Hello again, our three little friends are doing well and now we are looking for homes. Mango and Kiwi play together daily supervised, and Papaya has become more people friendly. Now my question is can we seperate them? I'd like to see pair stay together, but wasn't sure if the third wheel would be ok if they were adopted and he was left behind? I'm happy to make it that they have to be adopted together (seperate cages) but it will definitely take longer.

Thank you for your help! Watching them is such a great part of my day!!