• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Behaviors with Brown Heads

jeansie1988

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jeanette
Hi all,

So to summarize a long story to get to where Ash, a 11 year old brown headed parrot is now....
Ash belonged to a friend of mine. My friend became obsessed with birds and within a couple of years obtained 10 of them, all varying in size. Ash was kept in a cage most of the time, in the corner of her spare room. Anytime I would go over he looked lonely and didn't have many toys. My friend was in denial of how many birds she had and what she could actually take care of. When she found out she had cancer, I got offered her timneh African Grey, Buster and Ash. Ash seemed okay to handle and didn't bite when I took him out. Another friend of mine, whose also a friend of Ash's mum had kept trying to get my friend to give Ash or sell Ash to her to give him a better life. When Ash saw my other friend, he immediately came out of his shell and started to masterbate on her and regurgitate. My friend had watched Ash before and they connected way back then... He must have remembered her! My girlfriend took him and he stayed with her for a few months.
My girlfriend then gave Ash to my mum as my friend was taking in another rescue and knew how much my mum and I loved Ash. I decided to let him to go my mum because I was alreading working 1 on 1 with Buster as he was not happy at all being handled and had trust issues.
My mom had Ash for several months until she saw a huge change in him... Ash would run down his chair and attack my mom. When Ash bites, he doesn't let go and holds on for dear life. My niece, who lives with my mum can handle Ash with no issues. My niece though, is only 12 and is not mature enough to look after a pet. So... My mom offered Ash to me.
Buster had passed away in May for Unknown reasons so I thought sure... I'd take Ash and work with him. ( side note, I could do anything with Buster by the time he passed).
I am slowly working with Ash. He has gotten me once... Usually I am good with body language but holy smokes he is a fast little biter. He bites when I move around his cage, inside or out. He will climb down the perch I hold to handle him and try to bite. I try to move him around his cage with food so I can change his dishes. I am working with him to have a central perch in his chair where he can hopefully station himself so I can get in and clean. If he is out of his cage, he will climb down on the floors and run at me. We do babe a puppy that is around the house... We do not let them mingle at all with each other and never will. Ash's out of cage time must be supervised.
I guess I have alot of questions.. I have never owned a bird before where when they bite, they bite with their life and not let go. My goffin and pionus have only bitten me once for either one as well but it was a bite and then a let go.
How can I discourage the bite? I am using proximity, I have used a leather glove so I can hold the perch, I hold treats to reinforce when he is doing good,...
For body language, I can only see his tail fan out and his body gets tense. Sometimes my mum said he is just sitting there and bam he bites. I can't really notice his eyes dilating due to the colour.
Any suggestions on how to gain trust with him?

With my niece being able to handle him, I am hopeful that with time, he will turn around for me as well.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump.

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
As you can see, I have a brown head myself! I adopted him at 8 years old and I'm his 4th home, every time he was rehomed for biting besides the woman who fostered him before I got him. He bites the same way, and honestly the more I find out, the more I believe this is just how brown heads bite. I have a friend on FB who also has one, and he does the same thing, latches and grinds like his life depends on it. However, he doesn't bite his chosen person (Slade, my guy, is traumatized and even though I'm the love of his life, will bite me due to displaced aggression issues). Ash being rehomed so many times probably caused a lot of stress as well, which when these guys stress they bite even more. I also found, at least with Slade, that using certain tools increased the chances of him biting when I first got him. He doesn't like vet wrap, gloves, certain types of perches, etc. This could be part of the problem with Ash as well. It takes a LONG time to gain trust with these guys. I did the same thing with moving him around with food in the cage, and still have to when he's moody or hormonal, but that's not very often any more, plus I know what spots he is more protective over. Slow, steady, and consistent is the way to win Ash's heart. As long as you are patient you can get there. It is harder to learn their queues, I agree with that, but in time I think you will. I now know when Slade is going to bite 99% of the time whereas at first I felt lost. Also, if you have any questions don't hesitate to message me, I'm always up for helping people with their parrots, especially another brown head since they aren't super common!

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I have used a leather glove so I can hold the perch, I hold treats to reinforce when he is doing good,...
The glove will always remind him that you are scared of him.
He bites because he can and he don't trust humans at all.
All his homes lately have made him this way. Brown headed are sweet birds.

My advice.
Don't handle him at all.
Give him a chance to settle in and I hope that he is going to stay with you now?
You just can't move them around like that, he will need a forever home and once he realize that he is going to stay and is loved no matter what, he will change.

So their is nothing wrong with him, the problem is that you all gave up on him to many times.

Last edited:

jeansie1988

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jeanette
Thank you for taking time to answer my post.
He is better with me now vs when he first came here already. I will continue to work with him and be patient.

As you can see, I have a brown head myself! I adopted him at 8 years old and I'm his 4th home, every time he was rehomed for biting besides the woman who fostered him before I got him. He bites the same way, and honestly the more I find out, the more I believe this is just how brown heads bite. I have a friend on FB who also has one, and he does the same thing, latches and grinds like his life depends on it. However, he doesn't bite his chosen person (Slade, my guy, is traumatized and even though I'm the love of his life, will bite me due to displaced aggression issues). Ash being rehomed so many times probably caused a lot of stress as well, which when these guys stress they bite even more. I also found, at least with Slade, that using certain tools increased the chances of him biting when I first got him. He doesn't like vet wrap, gloves, certain types of perches, etc. This could be part of the problem with Ash as well. It takes a LONG time to gain trust with these guys. I did the same thing with moving him around with food in the cage, and still have to when he's moody or hormonal, but that's not very often any more, plus I know what spots he is more protective over. Slow, steady, and consistent is the way to win Ash's heart. As long as you are patient you can get there. It is harder to learn their queues, I agree with that, but in time I think you will. I now know when Slade is going to bite 99% of the time whereas at first I felt lost. Also, if you have any questions don't hesitate to message me, I'm always up for helping people with their parrots, especially another brown head since they aren't super common!

jeansie1988

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jeanette
I appreciate your post but I don't agree that we have given up on him. My post is asking for advice and guidance on how to better understand him.
To enlighten you, my mother has had two knee surgeries and a month ago a full elbow replacement. She took him as she was also familiar with his previous home and his previous human. Ash runs at her and bites hard... It wasn't fair or kind that he stays in a cage for the rest of his life for her safety. My niece who is 12 and who he has bonded too is not caring, only wants him around to show him off and holds no responsibility to have her own pet. He again, should not stay in a cage until my niece decides she wants him.
Me... I'm here asking specific questions on how to help him and to educate myself. Honestly, I appreciate your comment about the gloves and think that's a great perspective but I am offended by your idea we all gave up on him.

QUOTE="Eloy, post: 3143160, member: 7730"]The glove will always remind him that you are scared of him.
He bites because he can and he don't trust humans at all.
All his homes lately have made him this way. Brown headed are sweet birds.

My advice.
Don't handle him at all.
Give him a chance to settle in and I hope that he is going to stay with you now?
You just can't move them around like that, he will need a forever home and once he realize that he is going to stay and is loved no matter what, he will change.

So their is nothing wrong with him, the problem is that you all gave up on him to many times.[/QUOTE]

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
What kind of perch are you having him step up on? If you can get a long T shaped perch, you cane keep him far enough from your hand so that he can't bite, and you can still transfer him to where you need him to be.

I have a cage aggressive bird as well, and while I'm ok to put food and water in now, I cannot clean with her in the cage. I lure her to her travel cage and give her something to occupy her while I clean. I place a large, white towel over the front of the cage so she can't see what I'm doing. You could put Ash in a travel cage in another room if you need to, then bring him back once you're done.

You might be able to make a routine of this, actually. When you wake him up for the day, use the T perch to put him in the travel cage with a snack and special toy while you get his food, water, and maybe tidy up his cage. Then bring him back to the main cage once you're ready.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
My Dolly was a poi Meyers...Very tame but out of nowhere she would go terminator pitbull...Chomp grind & not want to let go...

Only thing ever crossed my mind is I may have been holding her & trying to surf the internet...Guess she did not like it...vicious!!!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I don't have a brown head but I do have another poicephalus. He is very much into routine, and quite aggressive around his "nest" area (which is his playstand where he chews all his toys). Even though I am the chosen one in the home, I too, have to be weary when he is in this area.

I would definitely remove the glove, and use a T stick until you can trust him more: Pictures - The T stick. | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Trust for me with birds has always been gained pretty passively. I give them space, and offer freedoms to get comfortable in my home. I let them observe without pressure or expectations. With being passed around so much he may not know he is home yet, so he needs a chance to learn that. I basically open the door and let them be who they want to be. Offer foraging, climbing, food, toys, etc so they can discover what it is they like. This is my Jardine's area.

IMG_20191004_141624.jpg

When I need to clean his area, I move the area that needs to be cleaned to another part of the room to do it, except his wooden playstand - I put almonds in his cage (his favorite treat!) and lock him in the cage while I clean that as he is very protective of it.

jeansie1988

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jeanette
Hi,
Thanks for offering the suggestion of the t stand.
I'll take a picture of what I've been using.
The t stand I have been using has vet wrap around it because of how the t stand is made. It seemed kind of slippery so I thought the vet tape would be good for Ash to step on/ off onto.
I haven't had to use the glove since I figured out this t stand. He now steps up onto it with no problems, where as in the beginning he would bite and latch onto it. I like this t stand because he can't climb down it to bite me.
I routinely open his cage throughout the day and get him to wait for me on one particular perch on the door of his cage. When it's time to put him back in the cage, I ask him to step up on this same perch. I'm hoping that this will teach him this is his perch to go out and come back to his cage from. I always reward him with treats right now so that the interaction is positive.
Maybe I can upload a video of him doing this.

My goal in this original post was to see if the biting was a "thing" for brown heads and then maybe make my own opinion if it has been all of the trauma he has been through or perhaps a bit of both.
I wanted to see what other signs other people had noticed about their BH before the bite so that I can be prepared as well.
Ash is really a pleasant quiet bird. My family and I have really enjoyed having him to our flock.

Thanks everyone for their input... Much appreciated for your help.