• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Behavioral Issues :(

birdy.929

Walking the driveway
Salem is having an extremely difficult time being clipped, it just hurts to watch. He is constantly falling because he tries following Birdy around, and I can tell if makes him so frustrated. It is also causing him to excessively scream and have aggressive outbursts towards me and Birdy. (never enough to hurt him, I would NEVER let either of them hurt each other) I had to separate them the other day because Salem had Birdy's leg in his beak:( I think it may be a form of jealousy. He's getting pretty good at step-up, and he gets along with Birdy, preening each other and all, but he still has a very long way to go. I've been working with him more, with simple target and step up training, but it doesn't seem to be helping as much as it used to. He has improved so much since I fist got him, but I feel like we've hit a wall lately. Do you guys have any tips on working with him more? Also, how long does a clip typically last for green cheek conures? he was clipped about three months ago now and has also gone through a light molt but he doesn't have any new flight feathers. also, fyi, he was not clipped by me and i am letting them grow out.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Edited to add some responses;

His flight feathers should grow back in less than a year. They will come back in stages.

Be sure to bird proof the room to avoid any injuries from falling; lay towels and mats, hang curtains, have lots of perches to land on, remove any shorp or pointy objects from the room.

There´s not much you can do in the relationship between the two birds - they either get on or they don´t. You can allow shared flight time for them to interact if they wish, but supervise them while out together to be sure no one gets hassled or hurt.

As for your relationship with Salem, maybe these links will help;

Last edited: