• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

behavior during hormonal season

Jet17

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Joann
Hello everyone I have a 7 year old male ringneck and he is really out of hand this time of year. He loves my feet this time of year and if i put him on his cage or a perch he will sqwauk and never stop and tries to climb down I had him use to being out of his cage all the time except at night and when i go out so if i try that forget it he never shuts up. I don't know what i can do I know its bad for him but its bad for us also. Does anyone else have same problem and can anyone help me out in what i can do I would appreciate the feed back

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Believe it or not my plumhead also has an affinity for human feet! My suggestion is to try covering your feet, more. Maybe buy a new pair of slippers? A new pattern or texture maybe something not familiar to your bird? (I am unsure if you already tried this, so sorry if it seem obvious :) )

My other tip is to try to procure new types of toys and new foraging toy ideas. If your guy has to work harder to finding food, he will have less time for your feet. You could also try to mix up the routine, try adding spontaneous training sessions into the day, breaking up the usual routine. I would also disengage from your bird if they are expressing mating behaviour toward you. As an example, lets say he is starting to drag his beak, pin his eyes and is generally getting a bit worked up about your feet; you can leave the area. Disengaging with your birds advances can reinforce that you want to stay in the friend zone, and don't consider him a mate. He will likely be persistent, but in my opinion it is better than leading him on. We should do our best to always stay in the friend/flock zone with our birds. Don't forget that flock relationships are based on common preening, foraging and eating. Make sure your bird in involved in the daily flock ritual, like eating or watching you work, most of your interactions with your bird should be at a distance. Touch can be very stimulating, and especially during this time of year can confuse your bird. Another way to disengage from your bird is to turn your head away and to pretend to preen your hair. Preening is used by birds as an appeasement gesture to communicate that they are just relaxed, not a threat, or in this case- not interested in mating.

I am unsure if any or all of these tips will help you, but hopefully they give you some new ideas and things to try. Patients is key. it isn't his fault he loves your charming feet.

Jet17

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Joann
Lol liked you last comment Yes very interesting i will try the things you suggested Although i did try putting different slippers on that seems to make him worse Idk if its the slippers or feet lol maybe both Thank you for the feedback i will work on those things Hopefully this hormonal phase will pass soon