• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Behavior Change

StephanieP

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Stephanie Puryear
I have had my Green Cheek Conure for 7 years. She has always been very steady in her behavior and a pretty friendly bird. She would nip on occasion and only gets really triggered by plastic bottles. Until recently. She has started biting hard and will even fly at me to bite me. She has bitten me on my on my hands, face and neck for no reason that I can discern. There have been no major changes in her life, no new pets (she is the only pet in the house). She eats a great diet of fresh veggies and fruits, sprouts and Harrison's pellets, which has been her diet for many years. I am at a loss, as I am becoming very frustrated and don't trust her and it is really affecting our bond. She gets plenty of time out of her cage and if I am home she is with me. She used to be allowed to be on my shoulders but I no longer trust her. I have recently read up on clicker training and have started a bit with that. I would love any suggestions on how to curb this behavior and get my sweet bird back. Thank you in advance.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Has she been to the vet since the change? Sometimes sudden behavior changes are due to underlying health issues.

StephanieP

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Stephanie Puryear
Has she been to the vet since the change? Sometimes sudden behavior changes are due to underlying health issues.
She just had her annual check up, but I will make her another appt.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Could just be hormonal related too. Or something that seems small to you but is big to her, like a new animal outside she can see occasionally, etc

SunTruth

Sprinting down the street
You could also try to see if there is something you could do that is inducing this behavior. For example at one point my senegal parrot started to get agressive either when one of use could take a bottle (yeah it is weird) or when there was a person wearing glasses.
Of course what I say does not replace other advices and I am not saying the behavior in your bird could be induced by something, but I guess it could be worth checking.