• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Behavior and Training?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corina

Meeting neighbors
I've read that lovebirds are hard to train once they are older? Mango is no younger than 4 years I'd like to know what my chances are at taming him. I'd like him to just be comfortable around me when out of his cage and take away his biting habit. His old owners told me he does bite but he likes to ride on shoulders.. hmm. How should I go about it? I've never trained an adult bird before, just baby budgies and that's as far as my training knowledge goes. Any tips and hints? Best way to avoid bites? And one question: When I make a sound he likes, so far kissy noises and whistles he bobs his head and clicks his beak. Is that just something cute he does or does it mean something? I appreciate any help given, thank you :)

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I do not know for lovebirds but by gibing a favorite treat every time you go by helps in getting him to trust you do you know his favorite treat maybe millet?

Jally

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
It is possible to train an older lovebird to at least step up on a perch or an arm. If you want him to ride on your shoulder and you are worried about bites, make a birdy necklace for him to pick at while on your shoulder.

The head bobbing and clicking noise sounds like a mating dance :D

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
My first lovebirds were almost 10 years old before I decided to train them. I trained them to step up on a dowel to be put to bed at night so they didn't nip me; never did let me touch them with my bare hands.:o: About a week after I got them to reliably dowel trained, they trained themselves to go into their cage when I announced 'bed time' and I never had to have them step up again to cage them. Very smart little birds. These birds had been parent raised, never handled and very wild and bitey when I first started letting them out of the cage for exercise. Initially I had to net them to get them back in their cage and then I did the dowel step ups and that eliminated the net. It really surprised me when they taught themselves to go into the cage at bed time. :o:

Status
Not open for further replies.