• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Beginners Understanding Chickens' Psychology and Emotions

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I referenced these sources in another thread. I thought it would be nice to add to the Poultry Row subgroup.

Chickens are wonderful and rewarding birds. Do not underestimate them :)

Poultry Science, Chicken Culture: A Partial Alphabet: Susan M. Squier

Link to amazon US:
Poultry Science, Chicken Culture: A Partial Alphabet: Susan M. Squier: 9780813549248: Amazon.com: Books
Booktopia -Australia:

https://www.booktopia.com.au/poultry-science-chicken-culture-susan-m-squier/prod9780813554211.html

Great article by Lori Marino.
follow link below
Thinking chickens: a review of cognition, emotion, and behavior in the domestic chicken

The Private Life of Chickens Documentary Ep.2 of the Private Life of Farm Animals Season 1.

if the link below does not work, stick the title into a youtube search and it should pop up.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
That video is not available in the United States, but I believe that this is the same video:

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'll pass this info along to my daughter who has 8 chicks right now. They are inside the house for a few more weeks, in a big tub with lights above them. It's 2 of 4 different kinds but I can't remember the names right now. The kids play with them all the time and they are very friendly, getting bigger every time I see them.