• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Beginner/Easy chop recipe?

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So people don't eat them? What kind of veg do you eat there? Just out of curiousity
It's not necessarily the veg alone that is expensive, more like quinoa, chia and any off-season veg like pumpkin and pretty much anything you get from a health food shop.

There is plenty of reasonably priced year-round veg like lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, carrots and so on, but off season or import stuff is very pricey!

wolfdog01

Meeting neighbors
Ta-da! I love the look of this rather than the trail batch I made. I use my little blender and mix everything by the handfuls so each 12 balls or so is different cause I don't measure. I am switching to chop because by the end of this year I will be moving out of my parents house and into a camper. I was going to make birdie bread but finding a no non-stick convection oven is real hard and it stressed me out. So I opted for chop, no risk with that. I also was going to use my microwave a bit but now that's got me worried too, so while my bird is gonna be eating healthier, I will too.
1563119822565.jpg 1563119846524.jpg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
any off-season veg like pumpkin
I started buying frozen pumpkin. Not so much for the price but mainly, we rarely eat pumpkin here and to buy big pieces for the birds would end up getting wasted. It´s easier for us to just buy frozen diced pumpkin (and then I ultra dice it on the day I serve). I suppose I could just freeze my own.. but idk maybe in the future.
Can you get frozen pumpkin in switzerland? or is it super expensive?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@Zara Quinoa doesn’t have to be cooked.
I´ve just had to do a quick search to come back to this thread, I have given my birds uncooked quinoa a few times - they seem to be enjoying it!! OMG it saves so much time!!! Quick n easy, I added it in and mix to soak up any water from thawing pumpkin.
Thankyou @finchly !! :hug2:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I´ve just had to do a quick search to come back to this thread, I have given my birds uncooked quinoa a few times - they seem to be enjoying it!! OMG it saves so much time!!! Quick n easy, I added it in and mix to soak up any water from thawing pumpkin.
Thankyou @finchly !! :hug2:
Awesome! Glad to help. :cantwait:

yeahhtrue

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Dan
Does everyone here freeze their chop and thaw it in smaller portions to use? I see a lot of people do that, but I've also read that some people don't like freezing because it removes nutrients, birds are less likely to eat mushy, wilted chop, etc. Ideally I'd like to always prepare fresh chop, but it'd be a lot more convenient to have frozen portions ready to go.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I feed both dehydrated and freeze dried chop sometimes mixed with fresh greens grown in Aerogarden. Both are rehydrated prior to serving. Eezy peezy!