• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Begining Hand Feeding Forum

RobbinHood

Meeting neighbors
Hello, I have 4 cockatiel chicks, and I am wanting to hand feed them I have done extensive research into it and am prepared for the responsibility. The oldest chick is almost exactly 3 weeks old but the problem I have encountered is that he will beg for food but when I put a small drop of food on his tongue he won’t give me the head bobbing response. I did get to feed the youngest chick although none of his siblings witnessed this; this chick is 13 days old. All of the chicks are still in the nesting box. Their mom died yesterday, and the dad is still feeding them, but he is stressed. I have Kaytee Exact hand feeding formula. I do have a brooder and all the equipment the internet and a professional hand feeder has recommended to me. So I was just wondering if anybody might have recommendations or advice for eliciting the head bobbing response. I think that once I get them started they will take it willingly but I’m not sure on how to start them. I spent time with a person who hand feeds babies for her job, and was able to watch her feed several babies, due to the shut downs, I am not able to visit with her now.

Thank you.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Hello, I have 4 cockatiel chicks, and I am wanting to hand feed them I have done extensive research into it and am prepared for the responsibility. The oldest chick is almost exactly 3 weeks old but the problem I have encountered is that he will beg for food but when I put a small drop of food on his tongue he won’t give me the head bobbing response. I did get to feed the youngest chick although none of his siblings witnessed this; this chick is 13 days old. All of the chicks are still in the nesting box. Their mom died yesterday, and the dad is still feeding them, but he is stressed. I have Kaytee Exact hand feeding formula. I do have a brooder and all the equipment the internet and a professional hand feeder has recommended to me. So I was just wondering if anybody might have recommendations or advice for eliciting the head bobbing response. I think that once I get them started they will take it willingly but I’m not sure on how to start them. I spent time with a person who hand feeds babies for her job, and was able to watch her feed several babies, due to the shut downs, I am not able to visit with her now.

Thank you.
The oldest chick just hasn't gotten the idea you are a food source and quite often chicks that have their eyes open will reject being fed by a human for a couple days ( or so). As long as the dad is still feeding the chicks I would boost his diet and provide a small amount of the formula made ( a bit thicker than you would for hand feeding chicks) to see if he is receptive to eating and feeding it to his chicks. Don't leave the formula longer than 30 minutes at a time for him to eat as it will spoil. When you see or think he has fed the chicks take a look at them to make sure they have food in their crops. Does you male eat any pellets? If so you can soak some of those too.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I´m sorry for your loss.
Do you know why the hen passed away? If not, a necropsy would be a good idea considering you have chicks.