• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Before I open this carpet roll I have a question

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
It might be a half baked idea . It’s polypropylene 8x10. There will be water coming in from the sides during rain. Will the tile and carpet mildew? Is it going to be a pain?

D998EB05-ADDA-4483-9B9D-55B2550478C8.jpeg

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
In the flying room

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I suppose mold could grow if water got underneath & it remained damp too long.
You might have to lift it up after rain to let it dry & it might be more work than its decorative value.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I suppose mold could grow if water got underneath & it remained damp too long.
You might have to lift it up after rain to let it dry & it might be more work than its decorative value.
It’s to crash proof for BScoot. I don’t decorate lol :D but you have a point. I can give it to the rescue if it doesn’t work out and they have a use for it. Thanks @camelotshadow

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Florida is very much like my state humidity-wise. If it were here, yes, it would mold up quite quickly.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Then try it as tile is really hard to hit. Its better than cloth padding which would need washed & dried anyway.
I would fold up one side & then the other side after a rain to allow it to dry underneath. With a little extra maintenance it could be OK.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Is it really heavy? If not unbearably heavy I would slide a step stool or two underneath it when it got wet to help it dry out from underneath. If it’s really heavy forget what I said :laugh:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Is it really heavy? If not unbearably heavy I would slide a step stool or two underneath it when it got wet to help it dry out from underneath. If it’s really heavy forget what I said :laugh:
No it isn’t terribly heavy feeling. Waiting for Jack to get off the treadmill so he can drag it in :roflmao:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Florida is very much like my state humidity-wise. If it were here, yes, it would mold up quite quickly.
I tried the much easier to deal with interlocking foam squares and Rudy said awesome and started ripping out chunks from them. This might turn out to be another failed experiment lol

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
BTW, does the carpet have an odor? Sometimes the synthetic carpets have some off gassing.
Slight odor but it’s out in the open right now. Will offgas it in the garage or the horrible terrible nasty stinky stray cats will pee on it :wacky:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Is it indoor/outdoor carpet? I had some of that type on an enclosed porch that flooded regularly.
The carpet held up very well, dried quickly and I never saw mold.
I did fold the wettest parts back so it could dry after heavy flooding.

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Lowe's has outdoor carpet. It's 6 foot wide. They sell it by the foot. It's on a big roll. They cut it to how ever much you want. We tacked it down to our front porch (wood), as we didn't want to glue it down. You can use double sided tape to adhere it to cement or just set one of yor plants on the corners. We've used this carpet for many years & it never molded. It's low pile, sort of ribbed. Colors are limited to dark grey, brown or black. We hose it off when needed.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
With mine, I just let it lie. No tacking or glue, but it was on cement so slide was minimal and we had table/chairs helping keep it in place. Mine wasn't very cushy, but I had a cheap one.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Lowe's has outdoor carpet. It's 6 foot wide. They sell it by the foot. It's on a big roll. They cut it to how ever much you want. We tacked it down to our front porch (wood), as we didn't want to glue it down. You can use doube sided tape to adhere it to cement or just set one of yor plants on the corners. We've used this carpet for many years & it never molded.

Thanks for the link!
With mine, I just let it lie. No tacking or glue, but it was on cement so slide was minimal and we had table/chairs helping keep it in place. Mine wasn't very cushy, but I had a cheap one.
This one is a cheap one too- indoor/outdoor carpet

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Then it's meant for wet places, so mold should be non-existent to minimal.
I'd just keep an eye out and raise the edges if they get soaked.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Lowe's has outdoor carpet. It's 6 foot wide. They sell it by the foot. It's on a big roll. They cut it to how ever much you want. We tacked it down to our front porch (wood), as we didn't want to glue it down. You can use double sided tape to adhere it to cement or just set one of yor plants on the corners. We've used this carpet for many years & it never molded. It's low pile, sort of ribbed. Colors are limited to dark grey, brown or black. We hose it off when needed.

If I need more coverage I’ll get it from Lowe’s. This is great news! Thank you!

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I always used astroturf for my outdoor flying spaces because I had birds that bounced like over full water balloons…
I know that was completely waterproof. If your rug can get food or poo stuck in the fibers, you may have a hard time washing the bits completely out. But if you’ve got a shop vac, have the girls spray the carpet with the hose every Sunday and vacuum it.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I always used astroturf for my outdoor flying spaces because I had birds that bounced like over full water balloons…
I know that was completely waterproof. If your rug can get food or poo stuck in the fibers, you may have a hard time washing the bits completely out. But if you’ve got a shop vac, have the girls spray the carpet with the hose every Sunday and vacuum it.
Sounds like a plan! Thanks! :bliss: