• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Been a while so here's a bunch of Nike pics.

bill-e

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bill Esposito
Penny is gorgeous. Nike came to me with a light eye ring and yes, it darkened after I pur a full spectrum light over her cage.

As far as age, I got Nike in a rehome situation 6 years ago and the owner said that she was 9 but I found some posts by that person claiming that she was 24...which would make her 30 now so I really have no idea how old she is.

And yes, the other sub species is the Brazilian Hawk Head ( Deroptyus accipitrinus fuscifrons ) which has a dark crown.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
There really is very limited age life spans for HH's. Some say as much as 50. Like all birds it also depends on care & plain luck.
I think the consensus is about 40.

Wish you a long happy life with Nike! She raises her crest alot. Penny hardly ever raises her crest. I see it maybe 1X a month & not even that often. They are really special intelligent birds & when you have a really well socialized one they can very loving & endearing. Still they can be very hi strung & temperamental which luckily Penny is not. She is a very steady bird but when they react its very quick & can tend toward aggression.

Lucky you found Nike as they are not all that available even if you look very hard for them.

I found Penny by chance on this forum.

Through extensive research I traced her back to day one & have all her certificates & dna is on file doh 4/6/97
I even found her brother/clutchmate Hawkeye. Penny on right a week younger.
Hawkeye Penny.jpg

:)

Last edited:

bill-e

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bill Esposito
There really is very limited age life spans for HH's. Some say as much as 50. Like all birds it also depends on care & plain luck.
I think the consensus is about 40.

Wish you a long happy life with Nike! She raises her crest alot. Penny hardly ever raises her crest. I see it maybe 1X a month & not even that often. They are really special intelligent birds & when you have a really well socialized one they can very loving & endearing. Still they can be very hi strung & temperamental which luckily Penny is not. She is a very steady bird but when they react its very quick & can tend toward aggression.

Lucky you found Nike as they are not all that available even if you look very hard for them.

I found Penny by chance on this forum.

Through extensive research I traced her back to day one & have all her certificates & dna is on file doh 4/6/97
I even found her brother/clutchmate Hawkeye. Penny on right a week younger.

:)
Thanks. Nike raises her crest when she's playing all the time and whenever I come over to her play stand she runs to me with crest up. I think it's hormonal as she is very bonded to me. I can even get her to raise it by growling at her to which she responds wit a growl and raised crest, Her temperament is great but only with my wife and I. She's wary of others if she sees them but this is not uncommon for bonded birds.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Awwwwwwwww. Sweet Nike.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
OMG!
So beautiful :heart:

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh my goodness she is so flipping stunning! I just love HawkHeads so much! The small Conures have my heart but if I was to ever try to branch into another large species it would surely be a Hawkie. Keep those gorgeous pics coming pretty please :heart:

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She’s just such a beautiful girl! Those colors amaze me :)

bill-e

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bill Esposito
Oh my goodness she is so flipping stunning! I just love HawkHeads so much! The small Conures have my heart but if I was to ever try to branch into another large species it would surely be a Hawkie. Keep those gorgeous pics coming pretty please :heart:
Thanks. She is the size of a Conure, maybe even a bit smaller than Suns I've seen. She's only 195 grams.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She’s the same size as my Cherry-headed Conure!

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks. She is the size of a Conure, maybe even a bit smaller than Suns I've seen. She's only 195 grams.
Oh wow! I had no idea they were that petite! I was thinking more along the size of an African Grey just more slender.

bill-e

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bill Esposito
Yea, Hawk Headed parrots are 190-280 grams on average and Greys are about 400 grams. I think that the upper end of the range at 280-300 grams would be huge as compared to Nike. I got Nike 6 years ago and weigh her at least weekly and she always weighs between 188 and 196 grams.

Her morning weigh in.

Last edited:

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yea, Hawk Headed parrots are 190-280 grams on average and Greys are about 400 grams. I think that the upper end of the range at 280-300 grams would be huge as compared to Nike. I got Nike 6 years ago and weigh her at least weekly and she always weighs between 188 and 196 grams.
That is so cool to learn that,thank you! Crazy how you have a size in your head and then when its wrong its like wow how could I have no realized. It happened to me with an Alexandrine parakeet I met my bosses girl and I was shocked at how little she was barely bigger than my old sun conure just with a much longer tail and more slender bodied.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Nike is stunning & petite like me. LOL

Penny is much bigger. Hawkheads are not a stocky birds. They are streamlined. Penny is close to 260 grams.

Last edited:

bill-e

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bill Esposito
Nike is stunning & petite like me. LOL

Penny is much bigger. Hawkheads are not a stocky birds. They are streamlined. Penny is close to 260 grams.
Sitting side by side Penny would probably dwarf Nike but while when I first met her I was a little disappointed with her size, I've grown to appreciate the convenience that "small" brings to an animal. My rat terrier mix is 13lbs with a big dog personality and a great companion as is Nike who will sit quietly on my shoulder for hours if I let her.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Sitting side by side Penny would probably dwarf Nike but while when I first met her I was a little disappointed with her size, I've grown to appreciate the convenience that "small" brings to an animal. My rat terrier mix is 13lbs with a big dog personality and a great companion as is Nike who will sit quietly on my shoulder for hours if I let her.
I'm under 5 foot so I do know good things come in small packages. Nike is a treasure large or small...65 grams is not much...just 2 ounces...

:awww: