• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bee pollen

Sweetbeaks

Meeting neighbors
What are your thoughts on bee pollen I did some searching here but had a hard time finding out if some people use it or not ? And if so how do you store it ?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I am suspect of anything that claims it's nature's miracle/cure/medicine/perfect food :lol:

I don't personally feed it but there are probably isn't much harm in feeding it as long as your bird isn't already hormonal (rich in protein so can trigger hormones in theory) and don't have a bee allergy. Flowers are part of a wild diet so it's not totally without precedent.

Sweetbeaks

Meeting neighbors
Right thanks ,that’s a bit not necessary lol. I think I’ll skip it . I am gonna check out that article appreciate the link, oh but it sounds wonderful think I will try it first !

Last edited:

CrazyKozmo

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
My fids don't like the flavor, it's pretty strong. So they don't get it anymore because I'd rather have them eat their food!

redindiaink

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I keep bees. By feeding pollen comes the risk of ingesting pesticides, herbicides and fungicides in unknowable quantities. I don't think it's worth the risk to my birds for any perceived benefit.

Sweetbeaks

Meeting neighbors
Thank you , that seems to risky for me or the birds .I am definitely going to skip it. Appreciate the advice

Hasanah

Strolling the yard
Mine love it, their feathers have never been so shiny and healthy looking. They get a pinch in their food everyday

Hasanah

Strolling the yard
Yea quite a few months. They have a very varied diet

RainbowIon

Checking out the neighborhood
Just stumbled upon this thread and had to chime in. I'm totally new here but couldn't resist sharing my bee pollen story. I've been using it for a while, mainly because I heard it's a superfood powerhouse. I store mine in a cool, dark place to keep its goodness intact.