• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bee free honey is it ok

jasminlana

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elsie
I heard honey is not good for birds but can they have a lil beefree honey made fr apples. I'm doing a Girl Scout tea w the birds. Thought I'd get my birds a ill teacup let them have tea w the girls. Is this ok for them. All tea even for Girls will b premade and served warm or room temp.

Attachments

sodakat

Real Name
Kathy
Ingredients: Apple juice concentrate, water, beet sugar, lemon juice

It definitely isn't honey. This is something people who are against bees working for people eat, yes?

jasminlana

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elsie
I just found it at Wegman's and bought some to try. I thought it was for people allergic to bee honey. It tastes good. But it does have sugar in it

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's probably for vegans. :)
I honestly think they don't need a sweetener in their tea....

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Basically bee-free 'honey' is a syrup that is made out of fructose and pectin (from apples) and sucrose (from sugar beets) with enough water added to make it have a honey-like consistency and a little lemon juice to give it a different flavor and smoother consistency. It has no pollen in it like bee honey has, so that eliminates one area of possibly allergy source and no bees are enslaved to produce it.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Make your own tea...the birds won't know the difference. Just a bit of juice with water. Juice is only a very small portion and it is mostly water. Warm the drink as they seem to think their "tea" is special. Many pet parrots like to share drinks with their owners and giving them their own cup includes them in the "flock" tea party. Birds can actually have chamomile tea which can help calm a parrot.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Most 'tea' products do have caffeine in them IF they truely are made from leaves from the tea plant. However, if you are using herbal teas, made of other, non-caffeine producing plants like spearmint or such, will be naturally caffeine free. The only way to know is to read the label to make sure caffeine has not been added.

Sunshine loves spearmint tea with a tiny amount of sugar. However, she is more likely to try and bathe in the tea before she decides to drink it!

jasminlana

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elsie
Thank you all for your input. I will read the fine print and labels to make sure the tea has no caffiene

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have fun! I'm sure the birds will appreciate you including them. :)