• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bedtime

Lexusblond

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nickie King
I'm having an issue getting Gerry Berry to bed, he is a rescue and only been with us 3 months. He is the sweetest, most loving little guy but won't go to bed at bedtime. They free range the house all day but sleep in their rooms(Madeleine hates the C word and if you use it she goes a bit bat crazy)at night. They where sleeping together but separately with a divider because Madeleine doesn't share and that includes her space but now they have their own rooms and it is getting harder and harder to get Gerry to bed. I can't use the blanket method as I use this to crop feed him and he won't let me near him now holding one and after last night I can't even touch his back to stop him flying off... would it hurt to just let him sleep where he wants for now and build up some more trust first then go back to going to bed later... 20210211_112442.jpg

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Such a cutie? Why do they have separate rooms? Do you think that's part of it? I know how hard it is to get a cockatoo into a cage when he doesn't want to go. Lol. It's difficult at first but a bedtime routine/schedule works best for us. Also trying to make bedtime fun. Sometimes birds don't like bedtime because that means you are going away. So I always spend time with my birds in their cages before covering them and turning off the lights. My tiel Rosie really likes to be sung to. My 'too likes me to sit and have a snack with him and just talk with him for awhile. The birds now look forward I think to special bedtime time.

Lexusblond

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nickie King
Thanks, I didn't think of the "leaving" we had to progress Madeleine into her room but Gerry just followed Madeleine so he didn't get the same progression. At the moment they fall asleep on the tv and when they are nice calm I put them to bed...they have their own rooms because Madeleine doesn't share... 20201222_160305.jpg 20201222_160256.jpg

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
They've seemed to worked out an arrangement that suits them fine...for now! I'd just let them go they way they're going...and monitor the situation. (of course) .;)
And yes,they're beautiful...:)

MR. Mango

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
maybe put a little treat in his food bowl and show him so that he builds a positive association with sleeping, and if u had their cages in the same room he may be more willing

Lexusblond

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nickie King
maybe put a little treat in his food bowl and show him so that he builds a positive association with sleeping, and if u had their cages in the same room he may be more willing
Yes, I worked out that one of the problems was Gerry not being able to see Madeleine and we have been having better results now I've clicked :think1: :whw:

Lexusblond

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nickie King
It's all gone to hell in a handbag. Nether off then will sleep in their rooms and last night they slept on top...Gerry has become very uneasy around me at night and won't let me touch him. So I think I might just let sleep where the want for a while... what do you all think...:sos:Because I can't help myself here is a pic of them NOT being spoilt eating freshly made mini seed muffin bread....:andor:
20210318_092603.jpg

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
They are adorable. And you can see mischief written all over their faces. LOL. I always worry about birds not being in cages at night because of what they can get into, if they get spooked, etc. If you have a bird proofed room just for them, then it can be okay I think, but not just loose in a house. Also, since cockatoos are so smart, if they think they can walk all over you they will. (I'm speaking from experience. :rolleyes: ) So you just want to make sure this isn't the start of cockatoo world domination. ;) Have you tried target training or anything like that with them?

@faislaq ? @Nancy B ? @Tanya

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
It's all gone to hell in a handbag. Nether off then will sleep in their rooms and last night they slept on top...Gerry has become very uneasy around me at night and won't let me touch him. So I think I might just let sleep where the want for a while... what do you all think...:sos:Because I can't help myself here is a pic of them NOT being spoilt eating freshly made mini seed muffin bread....:andor:
View attachment 376556
If you let children run around amok. They will run around amok. Your not setting any boundaries. They will just keep taking advantage of that because they are smart enough to. Consistency and routine are the key to most of these situations.

It doesn’t matter if they don’t share. I would put them all in the same sleep room safely separated so they sleep as a flock. Have a set bed time. In their cages they go and that’s it.

Every 3 year old hates going to bed. Tantrums. Screaming. Falling asleep on their feet. Still not going to bed.

Boundaries. Consistency. Routine.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Our first 'too, Luv Bug, has never had a problem going in her night cage; it was part of her routine in her previous home. But our second 'too, Puffin, was reluctant. I noticed that if I put Luv Bug in her night cage first that Puffin would go right into hers right away :yes4: and they both climb to be as close as possible to one another to sleep (even though they are not friends when they are out). We cover both cages with the same blanket so they can still see each other, but being in separate cages means they can't fight or pull feathers. As John said, it's safer that way. They could be friends for years and suddenly have a bad fight where someone gets hurt, so they will always have at least a divider cage just to be safe. :)

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
They are adorable. And you can see mischief written all over their faces. LOL. I always worry about birds not being in cages at night because of what they can get into, if they get spooked, etc. If you have a bird proofed room just for them, then it can be okay I think, but not just loose in a house. Also, since cockatoos are so smart, if they think they can walk all over you they will. (I'm speaking from experience. :rolleyes: ) So you just want to make sure this isn't the start of cockatoo world domination. ;) Have you tried target training or anything like that with them?

@faislaq ? @Nancy B ? @Tanya
I agree, my Fred is NOT mischievous and I wouldn't trust him AT ALL! :roflmao: if they're not in a bird safe room I would not leave them unattended. They're little devils and will WAIT until you're back is turned. I agree with @JLcribber consistency. Whatever the routine, stick to it. They really are like toddlers. Cute but they're toddlers.

Lexusblond

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nickie King
If you let children run around amok. They will run around amok. Your not setting any boundaries. They will just keep taking advantage of that because they are smart enough to. Consistency and routine are the key to most of these situations.

It doesn’t matter if they don’t share. I would put them all in the same sleep room safely separated so they sleep as a flock. Have a set bed time. In their cages they go and that’s it.

Every 3 year old hates going to bed. Tantrums. Screaming. Falling asleep on their feet. Still not going to bed.

Boundaries. Consistency. Routine.
That's what I was doing and I am very strict I even tell my husband off if he tried to let them stay up late but then Gerry started to be scared of me with panic flying around the room so I thought it might be best to let him settle.

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
Thanks, I didn't think of the "leaving" we had to progress Madeleine into her room but Gerry just followed Madeleine so he didn't get the same progression. At the moment they fall asleep on the tv and when they are nice calm I put them to bed...they have their own rooms because Madeleine doesn't share... View attachment 375534 View attachment 375535
HEY-- you don't mention that cute little duckie! What's the deal with her?:xflove:

Lexusblond

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nickie King
I've made a "bedroom" for Gerry splitting his cage in two so far so good. His sleeping room is at the same high as Madeleine's and I can push them together so they are nice and close. I put Gerry to bed with a lot of screaming last night but I tough it out and they calmed very quickly... hoping he improves just as fast as he went to sleep last night.
20210320_123047.jpg 20210320_123210.jpg

Lexusblond

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nickie King
Question! Should I still pursue Gerry when he starts flying round the room? I pretty much had to keep trying to get him to step up until he stayed still long enough for me to grab him with a blanket... I'm worried he will have a heart attack from being puffed and then me grabbing him and giving him a fright as well. The room is large 15 mtrs x 8mtrs and 3 mtr high ceilings ...