• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bedtime

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How much sleep should budgies get? Is there an optimal bedtime for best behaviour & health?

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think a minimum of 12 hours is recommended. My boys get 13 at the moment. A specific time? I don’t know. I’ll be interested to hear what others have to say!

Peepers

Strolling the yard
I've been wondering about this too (although I have a Java Sparrow). The cage is in the living room, and we were told not to cover it. I think I will anyway.
I go to bed around 11pm. My husband works nights every two weeks, and gets home at around 4:30am. I know he doesn't go right to bed, so I'm sure he wakes Peepers up by making noise and turning on the lights.
Would covering the cage be enough, or should I move it somewhere else at night?

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I work my lights to the seasons to closely approximate what they experience in the wild. 14hrs daylight in the summer and 11hrs in winter. It's not sudden either, the lights are on timers to provide a simulation of dawn and dusk.

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
I cover my budgies' cage at about 8 PM and uncover it at about 8 AM. So ten twelve hours.

Last edited:

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Mine get covered about 11:45 p.m. and uncovered at the crack of noon each day! (They are night owls like their Mommy).