• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bed bug treatment

toman.amy

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Amy
Hello I have a mild bedbug problem and a lovebird. My apartment was treated today and I took my lovebird with me to be safe. It has been about 4 hours since they finished treating it. They only sprayed certain areas so the whole apartment is not saturated. All the windows are open and fans are on to help circulate. I am thinking of going back in about 4 hours, so it will have been 8 hours since treatment has finished. When will it be safe to bring my bird back? Thanks!

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd board him for at least a week or longer if it's possible. I don't know what they use but with how awful bed bugs are I'd imagine it's some pretty potent chemicals. My vets always say at least a week when painting or spraying for ants is happening so that's what I'd recommend to be on the safe side.
Also so sorry you have bed bugs! That's a huge fear of mine.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Spray treatment for bed bugs is not always effective. I would have a bed bug dog in to double check. Heat treatment is sometimes used to kill them.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The bed bug dog is an excellent idea! Many pest control companies have them now & they only sniff out live bugs, eggs, etc.

Ephy

Walking the driveway
Any chemical treatments are hazardous to yourself but more so to pets.
Sadly, the only way to REALLY treat bed bugs is by staying in the infestation (just you, not pets) otherwise they wont come out, so treatment is useless.

Also, if you live in an apartment building, ALL UNITS MUST BE TREATED BACK TO BACK.

I can not stress this fact enough.

Bedbugs will simply relocate to another unit while yours gets treated. They are notorious for using pipes, wall socket, etc to travel between apartments.

All furniture and clothing must be treated or tossed.

The only real effective treatment is not sprays. Its expensive but only pure heat treatment will kill them all.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
@Ephy your information is spot on. I had a neighbor in apartment above me years ago and the protocol was to treat any apartment beside, above and below bed bug infestation. It was not fun.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
And across the hallway should also receive treatment, especially if there connection for water pipes. Spraying ineffective only way I know is high heat and everything is living has to be out of the apartment, including plants. Nothing plastic either it melts.

Karmilos

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Bradley
Hello,

This post is old, but I just wanted to let you know that if you come across this bed bug treatment product, I strongly advise against it as it is rubbish.
Best regards.

Karmilos