• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Becoming a parrot owner

Dogs&Birds

Sitting on the front steps
Hello there,

I hope Everyone is doing fabulous.

I am interested in becoming a parrot owner ever since I can remember. Just never had the time or money to get one and quite frankly, I’m thankful for it.

Two years ago I fell in love with an African Grey that was grocery shopping with his human companion. He was in a harness sitting on a woman’s shoulder. I talked to her, asked some questions and after a couple of minutes he said “piss off” (I know, not the friendliest but I couldn’t stop laughing).

After that incident I started doing research for at least a year, only to realize that I wouldn’t be able to take proper care of him, due to my work schedule and traveling.

However, circumstances have changed and I feel like I’m ready for the challenge and wanna make my dream come true.

I was wondering if anyone here knows a legitimate breeder in California that I could approach.

I had so many phone conversations with breeders that just seemed to wanna get quick money without asking me any questions about anything. Like they were breeding dogs or cats and I just didn’t feel good about any of them.
I also went to an adorable little bird shop called “The Perfect Parrot” close to where I live but I’m still not sure if that is the right choice.

I know these birds are a huge challenge and I even consider rescuing one because I want to feel the connection between the bird and myself and not just buying one for the sake of it.

So if anyone know a good breeder in California (not too far from Los Angeles) or a shelter specialized in birds please let me know.

Best,
Jonny

PS: I have a labradoodle named Charlie. The smartest, most adorable creature on this planet. Would love some feedback on that too.

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Hi there Jonny. We usually suggest to check with rescues first unless you want a baby. We have several members living in California who may help you. Just be careful of bird flippers and scammers. When you are dealing with high priced birds its likely you will run into one or two.

Dogs&Birds

Thanks for the heads up.

I came across some of them already.

3 month old baby African Grey for sale.
Including blood, DNA test, travel cage and food supply for the first month.
600$

I already saw them being delivered on a magical slide

I would prefer a baby simply because I want to go through the whole experience but then again I have read some horrible stories about African greys and puberty. There are so many different experiences online which is very confusing.

NirAntae

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jennie
If you can't find a breeder you trust, I would recommend finding a local bird show. African Greys are popular birds, and it's not hard to find them, or at least people who breed them, at shows.

But to be honest, a lot of breeders just reach the point that they quit trying to filter prospective buyers much, not because they don't care, but because there are just a lot of babies to find homes for, and well, Greys are not inexpensive birds. They're happy to answer questions, but they often won't be the ones asking them.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Here is a link to a reliable breeder of African parrots. I used to have one of hers. Her name is Jean Patterson. She is in Florida so the bird would be shipped to you.

African Queen Aviaries

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA.
I've never purchased any birds here but I've read that people are generally happy with birds from: Parrot Breeder - Omar's Exotic Birds
You can also contact Steve Garvin The Feather Tree- Steve Garvin I sent him an email regarding Ruppell's parrots but never heard back. Maybe you will have better luck or perhaps give him a call. If you are willing to have a bird shipped agree with @Lady Jane regarding Jean Pattison/African queen Aviaries. She is well-known and reputable.
There are local rescues that might have older Greys available. I realize you would prefer a baby but it might be worth checking into.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. If there are any rescues near you, maybe go and visit? You'd be amazed how sometimes you just click with a bird and it's an amazing feeling when that bird picks you.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Dogs&Birds

Thank you.

I have to say, I looooove all the stories here.
yestetday I spent two hours just reading.
The most heartwarming/ teardropping once I’ve read in a long time...

By the way, I put my name on the list of a couple of rescues around here.
Also called a bird Club and left a voicemail and am super thrilled because I already received a phone call which lead to me going to meet the first potential candidate next week.
Surprisingly it sounds like a great fit but I don’t wanna get carried away just yet.
(It is the grey that makes the choice).

Fingers crossed.

I’ll let y‘all know how it went.

Dogs&Birds

Hi everyone,

Just got back from a meeting with The bird and have a couple of questions.

The bird seemed lovely.
Very shy and quiet but lovely.

She had me feed him some ice cream which is his favorite treat. I held it in front of him and had him reach for it, which he did. He didn’t seem too anxious about that.

However, after a little while he would just freez and stare in one direction. He didn’t seem to respond to anything for a couple of minutes.
What could that be?

Also he was very shaky?
She told me that she clipped his nails and that might be why, and that he would do that occasionally if he is stressed.

Also he moved pretty slowly on the floor when she put him down.

I’m just thinking maybe he realizes what’s going on and is terrified or he has something. Maybe an illness or so.

Would love to get some feedback on that.

NirAntae

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jennie
My first thought would be stress. Also, giving him ice cream could be dropping his core temp and making him shiver. To be fair, all of my Greys have moved pretty slowly and carefully on the floor, they aren't really 'walkers'. If you're worried he might be ill, I'd get a vet's opinion/checkup before committing.

But overall if he's friendly with you, I wouldn't be overly concerned. Remember that birds from a rescue are going through a lot, they're going to be a bit 'off'.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
My greys shake when they are nervous.
The best thing about adopting a bird is you know what you are getting, if you get a baby they can change into anything.
Are you on facebook?
Lucky Lou and Coco Too - Home | Facebook
Follow my flock, you can see all the shenanigans they get up to!

Dogs&Birds

Hello everyone,

Thank you all for all your help and advise so far, you guys are the best.

Good news. I have Grayson (7 year old CAG) at my home now for a trial period of 2 weeks.
Just brought him home with me last night. He is still in his travel cage as he was very nervous this morning.
He didn’t eat or drink and would just climb along the sides and plugg some feathers when I came close.
I talked to the owner and she explained to me that it has been a lot of stress for him the past couple of days and probably the most stress he has ever had right now.
However, I didn’t wanna introduce him to my dog ( a standard labradoodle) at first cause I thought it would stress him even more. I covered him up again to see if he’d calm down and when I uncovered him after 45 min I had Charlie in the room.

Little did I know, Charlie actually calmed him down immediately and he started making this cute whistle sound whenever Charlie would look at him. Then he started eating, drinking and playing with his toys (acted normal) while observing Charlie.
I am really happy about this.
However, Charlie can get close to the cage and Grayson is totally fine with that. When I get close tho he seems to stress out a little climbes all the way up and hangs tight to the sides.
Maybe you have some suggestions on how to approach him.
I’ll give him his space for now but the travel cage is too small so I’d love to rlocate him into his bigger cage ( I got it from his owner as well so he is familiar with it).

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Yes, space is what he needs in order to survey the new environment and you. Have you put him in the big cage yet? If it is the cage he was in before that's great. As you may know greys are skittish to anything new, even toys so go baby steps. No need to get close to him, birds have their personal space too just like us. Talk softly so he can hear you voice. Read or sing to him sometimes just so he an hear you voice. Do you know what treats he likes best yet? Offering treats is often a good way to get in his good graces.

You have a wonderful species of bird that is highly intelligent and will live for 60 years or more. Just go slowly and enjoy every moment for this trial period. Can we see him?

One of the best web pages for AG African Grey Parrots: Understanding Them

Last edited:

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Congrats on your possible new friend! Go slow and at his pace:) if he seems scared, stop what you are doing and reassure him:) Feed him his favorite treats a lot:p

Dogs&Birds

Thank you guys.

Yes, he is in his bigger cage now or at least on top of it. His favorite treat is yoghurt and I fed him already.
He doesn’t want to step up anymore. I wanted to put him in the cage but he doesn’t like it. I’ll give him his space. Here a pic F69BD933-155E-4F4E-92D5-14B877587273.jpeg

Dogs&Birds

It looks like he is tired. He is standing on one leg and closes his eyes right now. However, I can’t put him in his sleeping cage and cover him or even this cage because he doesn’t want to step up.
I can let him sleep right there if he wants to. Just wondering if that’s a good idea tho because whenever he is falling asleep it looks like he shrugs and gets scared cause he doesn’t feel secure.