• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Beba and Dragi died yesterday

parrotman

Strolling the yard
Beba and Dragi died yesterday. They died 10 hours apart. They were too young to die in such a horrible way. Their legs were paralyzed like they both had a stroke. They were only 10 months old. Could it have been something genetic that caused their deaths? The week before they died they had been acting wierd. I Thought it was nothing wrong and that they were just being hormonal. Their father was only 9 months old when he mated with Koki. Could a birth defect have caused their death? Could it have been a parasitic infection? Or pesticide poisoning. There is a crop field near my house, A Few days ago insectiside/pesticide was being sprayed. Dragi had paralyzed wings. Beba had paralyzed legs I Do not know if Dragi had paralzyed legs as he was dead when i found him.

Rocky thought they were his children and would try feeding them when they were out together. They were too young and innocent to die in such a horrible way. I Couldnt do anything to help them, Neither could the vets. They can fly together with Benjamin now.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I am so sorry for your loss. That is truly heartbreaking. :sorrow:

The only way you can confirm what the caused their early deaths is a necropsy, which you can get done at the vet. I really hope it wasn't the crop spraying. That is so scary. :( Sending you warm thoughts during this difficult time.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh how awful, I’m so very sorry. :sorrow:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
While you'll likely never know for sure, then being so close together in death leads me to think environmental. Even if they had the exact same illness or genetic defect, the chances of them dying so close to each other would be very small :(

QB1rd

Jogging around the block
So sorry for your loss.

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
I’m so sorry for your loss :sad11:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your losses.

parrotman

Strolling the yard
While you'll likely never know for sure, then being so close together in death leads me to think environmental. Even if they had the exact same illness or genetic defect, the chances of them dying so close to each other would be very small :(
Could it have been an accident that caused them head trauma? They had a swing on their cage and they sometimes sleeped on it.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Could it have been an accident that caused them head trauma? They had a swing on their cage and they sometimes sleeped on it.
Again, unlikely that they would have suffered the exact same accident and passed away so near each other. My bird has loads of swings and sleeps on one sometimes, too, even with arthritis.

parrotman

Strolling the yard
Again, unlikely that they would have suffered the exact same accident and passed away so near each other. My bird has loads of swings and sleeps on one sometimes, too, even with arthritis.
Last week i gave them a piece of lettuce. I Then noticed that it smelled wierd. Like a pesticide. But it couldn't have been that? I gave lettuce to every of my birds. Even my younger birds and they are still fine. Could it have been that i changed their cages positions? However i also changed the position of my 2 younger birds and Rocky's position, And Koki and Ozzy's cage positions. So it couldn't have been this? Could it have been a parasite that caused their strokes or digestive issues? Whenver i cleaned their cage they almost never had any solid droppings.

Yuki Shiro

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Stefan
My condolences to you.
you may analyze, what might have happened, and it may help - but don't think, you did something wrong. You only wanted their best.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Last week i gave them a piece of lettuce. I Then noticed that it smelled wierd. Like a pesticide. But it couldn't have been that? I gave lettuce to every of my birds. Even my younger birds and they are still fine. Could it have been that i changed their cages positions? However i also changed the position of my 2 younger birds and Rocky's position, And Koki and Ozzy's cage positions. So it couldn't have been this? Could it have been a parasite that caused their strokes or digestive issues? Whenver i cleaned their cage they almost never had any solid droppings.
There is no way for me to know any of this. You could have a vet exam their bodies and it "might" tell you, but even then you might not get an exact answer.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Unfortunately, there's no way of telling what caused your birds' deaths without having a necropsy performed. This is the medical examination of a dead body. Each part of the body and organ is examined and samples may be taken to be tested at a lab. It is the only way to get answers; however, even a necropsy may be inconclusive.

I understand that you want answers but no one on this forum can tell you why your birds died. We have no idea if your birds were infected with parasites or not. We don't know what was on the lettuce, if anything. We don't know what hazards they might have encountered in your home. We don't know what pesticide or insecticides they were exposed to. If they had loose, poorly-formed droppings for a while, then they may have been sick with something but again, we aren't vets and cannot say if this was connected to their deaths.

Last edited:

Perroquet

Meeting neighbors
I'm so sorry for your losses. You took such good care of them, and they had a wonderful life while they were here. I have just learned the hard way that not all circumstances are in our control, and we can only do our best in the moment. Your birds were loved, and that is what counts.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am very sorry for your losses.

Tilly123

Strolling the yard
Real Name