• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bearded Dragon not doing so good??? Need help

jzarc17

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jackie
This is Dudley,,he had a lot of health issues when I got him,,but he lived for 10 years,,,,and my daughters cat Alice just loved him. Lol
I had to grind up all the healthy bugs and food in the blender and hand feed him for the last year,, but he was a happy boy. I’m sure your dragon will be fine,,don’t panic
Hes so cute!! They are our precious babies!! We can't give up on them :xflove:

Reactions: Ali

jzarc17

Real Name
Jackie
Harley is doing so good today!!! I’m so excited! He’s slowly started eating again. Today was a breakthrough, he ate a SALAD!! He never does that!! I made him a fresh dandelion salad with a little mashed up raspberry mixed in and I think he loved it!!! He dove right in and I got some pictures. I’m a seriously happy mama :bliss::cloud9:

13CDE0C4-1650-4A9A-BFB0-FCD045306CAB.jpeg

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What great news and an awesome picture too!

jzarc17

Real Name
Jackie
One last update on my little dude, as of Monday I gave him his last injection of antibiotics. He is doing AWESOME! No more black beard, hes eating very well. He continues to enjoy his salads although I have changes that salads into a chop which I think he likes better. I now offer a bed of dandelion chop with a raspberry vinaigrette (mashed up raspberries) and a sprinkling of dubia roaches for added crunch :embarassed:

@riddick07 I did get the temp gun and found out his basking spot is right around 124 degrees, nice call on the temp gun! Of course now that I have a new toy I have temp gunned every surface in the house (it doesn't take much for me :hehe: )

Since all this has gone down I think Harley has some how figured out that I helped him to feel better. I was really worried that with all the trips to the vet where he got poked with needles so many times, all the times I have had to give him shots, syringe feed him nasty powdered food, swabbed his teeth with antibiotics and so on, that he would associate me with something uncomfortable about to happen. It would have broke my heart to damage my bond with him but I am amazed! It's like once he started to feel better even thought I had more shots to give him and continued swabbing of his teeth he stopped fighting me and showed no signs of stress. It's like he realizes I am doing all this to help him. he never stops amazing me with how smart and how loving he is.

I can't say it enough, I just love that little guy!! :heart:

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:heart: What a great report! I can tell he’s very special. 124° is sizzling! Do they like it that warm?

jzarc17

Real Name
Jackie
:heart: What a great report! I can tell he’s very special. 124° is sizzling! Do they like it that warm?
I agree it is very warm!! He does seem to enjoy it a lot, most reptile websites suggest to keep the hot spot at 95. Up until recently I had used a digital thermometer with a prob that takes a reading of the the air on the hot side of the enclosure. Now that I have the temp gun I point it at the basking spot where the light bulb is pointing at to get an idea of the most intense part of the basking spot.

He will bask in this area right after eating and then he will move to a less intense spot near by. Or the corner of the cage that is closes to be when I am working from home :) He like to watch me work LOL