• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bearded dragon care

Tangoares

Walking the driveway
Alsoo I'm wondering, if I don't know if he is sick or not, has parasites or not
should I not handle him with bare hands?
Can anything be airborne?

Tangoares

Walking the driveway
Do bearded dragons need the red light? I am reading bunch of contradicting things on the internet

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
Closest picture I have at the moment of his nails .

I'd like to take him to the vet asap,
We havent asked yet to keep him since we don't really get along with the guy downstairs, and doubtful he'd give him to us :shifty: . . But he thinks it's been my friend thats been caring for him,,that has been staying with us, so we are working on a plan for her to ask lol..
Oh you 'wily coyote' you! THAT'S A PLAN!

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
I have been told that reptiles can carry a disease that will infect birds... so definitely WASH and no bird contact w/ him or anything from his cage...

barbs0nly

Walking the driveway
Real Name
lilly
Do bearded dragons need the red light? I am reading bunch of contradicting things on the internet
they need uvb and basking to my understanding, their basking has to be pretty hot but i’ve never heard of red light, are you thinking mercury vapor bulbs? :)

Tangoares

Walking the driveway
they need uvb and basking to my understanding, their basking has to be pretty hot but i’ve never heard of red light, are you thinking mercury vapor bulbs? :)
Thanks for the info, one of the lights the guy had on the beardies tank was a red one?? It recently burnt out so I been checking if it's necessary and it doesn't seem like theres a point at all!

Tangoares

Walking the driveway
There is also 2 white ones, one that says uvb, and I don't see UVA on the other one ,

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine

Tangoares

Walking the driveway
Cool, did not know they were from Australia.

I know we have the guarana but thats a big meat eater.

Thanks :) & I didn't know they were from there until recently either lol!

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Thought I’d post this link here, I love how simply it explains each veggie and fruit.
And maybe I am wrong, but I believe @Destiny has a beardie.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I saw a few small garden lizards at Moms in NSW. Sort of like the ones we have in California.
I had one outside my apartment & saw another in the side walkway a few times. They are only about 4 inches & are quite shy.

May be Great Basin Lizard & I enjoy seeing them.

Lizard IMG_20210630_165115862 (2).jpg

Tangoares

Walking the driveway
I saw a few small garden lizards at Moms in NSW. Sort of like the ones we have in California.
I had one outside my apartment & saw another in the side walkway a few times. They are only about 4 inches & are quite shy.

May be Great Basin Lizard & I enjoy seeing them.

View attachment 391827
That's so cool!
The one in your photo looks like the one that hopped on my hand in california, in the Mojave desert area . If it is the same kind, they were quite fast..
I was i think 18 and went on a road trip with my dad and he bet me I couldn't catch one.. somehow I did with no effort lol.. and then he must've liked the body heat because when I tried to put him back down, he hopped back on

barbs0nly

Walking the driveway
Real Name
lilly
Thanks for the info, one of the lights the guy had on the beardies tank was a red one?? It recently burnt out so I been checking if it's necessary and it doesn't seem like theres a point at all!
ugh! on this note actually, make sure you replace ur uvb every six months, they stop producing uvb and just produce light after awhile :p you seem like you’re doing super good!!

Tangoares

Walking the driveway
ugh! on this note actually, make sure you replace ur uvb every six months, they stop producing uvb and just produce light after awhile :p you seem like you’re doing super good!!
These were the lights that are ontop of the cage still, no idea how long he has had these ones for .
We haven't been able to ask him if we can keep it yet since we are not getting along and currently having meetings with our rental company about us leaving from this house . Thankfully lease was done 2 years ago, but finding a place is challenging right now

Attachments

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I hope you work it out with the "owner" to acquire the uncared for sort of abandoned pet.

Do keep receipts & a list of supplies you purchase so that they can be used to document care & cost.

Is it OK to leave the animal downstairs in the hall? I suppose that is a common space.

Is it safe there? Suppose the "owner" decides to sell the pet & you come home one day & its gone?

If it was me I'd seriously consider bringing it into my apartment. If it became an issue I'd explain my reasons & present the proof of care provided.
Offer to settle it with a adopt fee & waive the costs you provided. It's pretty clear the pet is not that cared for but this sort of person might just hurt it to spite you.

I know you are putting things off because the neighbor is not friendly but you have to think ahead.

Tangoares

Walking the driveway
I hope you work it out with the "owner" to acquire the uncared for sort of abandoned pet.

Do keep receipts & a list of supplies you purchase so that they can be used to document care & cost.

Is it OK to leave the animal downstairs in the hall? I suppose that is a common space.

Is it safe there? Suppose the "owner" decides to sell the pet & you come home one day & its gone?

If it was me I'd seriously consider bringing it into my apartment. If it became an issue I'd explain my reasons & present the proof of care provided.
Offer to settle it with a adopt fee & waive the costs you provided. It's pretty clear the pet is not that cared for but this sort of person might just hurt it to spite you.

I know you are putting things off because the neighbor is not friendly but you have to think ahead.
We actually live in the same household, he lives in the suite downstairs, and we live upstairs, with shared laundry downstairs by the main entrance.
Just earlier today there was a meeting where our landlord gave him an eviction notice due to all the issues, so he definitely wouldn't have gave him to me...
BUT good news, he decided to give him to my friend( who has been living with us short term) so we will be bringing him upstairs :)