• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Beak turning white at the tip

Cricket88

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Soad Hachami
Ive had durra for 4months now. She is a little bit friendly now with the whole family. She’s on a strict chop diet that’s not really chopped vitamins the vet recommended and seeds only at night. There’s no pellets in Iraq I’ve looked everywhere. She does have a YouTube addiction now, loves phones waits patiently until someone opens her a video. But a few days ago I noticed the tip of her beak is losing its red color and turning white. I’ve read online that’s it’s just shedding the old beak. She did come with an overgrown beak and nails.

Attachments

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Some wear on the tip of the beak is normal. It is nice to read that she adjusting to your family. Can you share an image of the chop you are feeding? I am a little confused by your description. If you want more ideas for making a fresh veg and fruit chop I will provide a link at the end of this post to another area in the forum you may find helpful.

She’s on a strict chop diet that’s not really chopped vitamins the vet recommended and seeds only at night.

Cricket88

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Soad Hachami
Some wear on the tip of the beak is normal. It is nice to read that she adjusting to your family. Can you share an image of the chop you are feeding? I am a little confused by your description. If you want more ideas for making a fresh veg and fruit chop I will provide a link at the end of this post to another area in the forum you may find helpful.

She hates chop she prefers big pieces . I have a pretty good chop 14+ vegetables
Squash
Green pepper
Orange pepper
Red pepper
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Turnips+ heads
Green chili peppers
Red cabbage
White cabbage
a little lettuce
Red beets
Lima beans
Garbanzo beans
Carrots
Spinach
Arugula
some wheat bread or rice for carbohydrates, eggs or chicken for protein. And two fruits. She is getting on very well even with her disability. And I’m getting her a friend soon! But she is very clever, I caught her stealing a candy today. Big change from when she came, she used to be afraid of everything, now she steals and dares you to cross her.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Great thank you for the clarification! My parrots also get big chunks makes perfect sense. You have a nice variety on veggies, very good. And as you probably know make sure the lima beans are soaked well and cooked through to prevent toxicity.

Areas to improve are your carbs and protein. Bread isn't a good idea, as it has a lot of salt and can be a dangerous regular food. I would also consider rotating your rice option, try swaping with other whole grains like quinoa. Rice is fine, but not the most vitamin rich food for an everyday.

I personally would also stop the chicken and egg. Parrots can eat these things but that doesn't mean it is healthy. Parrots are true herbivores and aren't as well equipped to process meats and eggs. A better choice for protein are nuts and the current veggies and grains you are feeding. Don't forget that protein is in everything including veggies, it is literally what binds cells together. It is in higher concentrations in meats, but meat isn't something parrots should be eating. Your bird can also get all the vitamin D they need from natural sun light, so vitamin D isn't needed from animal product.

overall it sounds like an awesome daily meal and you bird is lucky to be in such caring hands :)

Cricket88

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Soad Hachami
Great thank you for the clarification! My parrots also get big chunks makes perfect sense. You have a nice variety on veggies, very good. And as you probably know make sure the lima beans are soaked well and cooked through to prevent toxicity.

Areas to improve are your carbs and protein. Bread isn't a good idea, as it has a lot of salt and can be a dangerous regular food. I would also consider rotating your rice option, try swaping with other whole grains like quinoa. Rice is fine, but not the most vitamin rich food for an everyday.

I personally would also stop the chicken and egg. Parrots can eat these things but that doesn't mean it is healthy. Parrots are true herbivores and aren't as well equipped to process meats and eggs. A better choice for protein are nuts and the current veggies and grains you are feeding. Don't forget that protein is in everything including veggies, it is literally what binds cells together. It is in higher concentrations in meats, but meat isn't something parrots should be eating. Your bird can also get all the vitamin D they need from natural sun light, so vitamin D isn't needed from animal product.

overall it sounds like an awesome daily meal and you bird is lucky to be in such caring hands :)
She doesn’t get proteins every day, or carbohydrates. They’re an after thought to her. I sneak in peeks of her during the day she eats mostly vegetables leaves the rest. We’re all high blood pressure and diabetics here so our bread is brown full wheat or barley no salt or sugar. And they get at least four hours of outdoor sunlight I take them out every morning the weather here is perfect for them.and they’re out of their cages 7 hours. That’s a good routine for now.