• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Beak trimming sensitivity?

BirdEE

Walking the driveway
I have never gotten my buddies beak trimmed because he’s never needed it. He typically keeps it in check with lots of wood and walnut shells to chew on. But this winter he didn’t chew as much wood, he’s preferred the paper in his cage to shred as of recently. No big deal except I noticed his lower beak tips, one was quite a bit longer than the other and it appeared to have a crack in the center almost from tip to tip. So I figured it was best to have the vet look at it. She did a trim on the lower beak to even it out and remove the crack.

But now I can tell he doesn’t like it. The two points on the bottom have been flattened and he can’t hold onto things like normal. I can tell it’s probably sensitive for him too. Because when I tried giving him a piece of melon. When it touched his beak he shook his head, clearly it bothered him.

Given I’ve never needed to have his beak trimmed this is new territory for me. I’m sure I’m just being an over protective dad but I don’t like seeing him in discomfort

redindiaink

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I have a congo grey with a beak deformity who needs his lower beak done about once a year because it pushes up against the upper half making it hard for him to do anything when it gets too long. I give him a lot of soft food for about a week afterwards until I see happily back to munching on his pellets. If it was really bothering him and he was refusing food/water I'd call my vet for some pain reliever.

Dr. M. Scott Echols recently gave a talk and mentioned midway through they've recently learned (like a day or two before he gave the talk) why birds wind up with sensitive beaks from beak trims which could mean beak trims with less discomfort and pain.

BirdEE

Walking the driveway
I have a congo grey with a beak deformity who needs his lower beak done about once a year because it pushes up against the upper half making it hard for him to do anything when it gets too long. I give him a lot of soft food for about a week afterwards until I see happily back to munching on his pellets. If it was really bothering him and he was refusing food/water I'd call my vet for some pain reliever.

Dr. M. Scott Echols recently gave a talk and mentioned midway through they've recently learned (like a day or two before he gave the talk) why birds wind up with sensitive beaks from beak trims which could mean beak trims with less discomfort and pain.
Thanks for the reply! As an update, he’s been doing much better the last couple days. He’s crunching his pellets and eating other foods like fruits again. I was being too worried, but it’s in my nature. I’ll still be happy when his points grow back again. You can tell he wants them back. But he’s much more used to it now.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Good update. Glad he´s ok :)