• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Beak trim questions

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Probably a pretty basic question, but how often do cockatoos need a beak trim?

I don't think Isadora is over grown at all, and she's got loads of wood to chew through constantly (I don't know if that makes a difference), but I'm just curious is there's an average frequency people usually do?

What's considered overgrown? Is it only when they can't shut their beaks properly? When it affects their eating habits?

Also how do people have a cockatoo with a perfectly shiny black beak? She preens herself and she gets right back to being ashy.

Here's what she looks like right now
IMG_6304.jpeg

IMG_6303.jpeg

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Her beak looks fine. Ashy beaks are pretty much the norm. Overgrown would be upper long & curving in too far, making it hard for bird to eat. Lower also long & not able to close beak. U2's often have 2 points on lower beak. They will wear them off at times.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I didn't figure she was overgrown currently, she looks pretty on par with photos I see of other's cockatoos. Is there a general time line of how often people get a beak trim? Or is it dependant on the bird?

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I didn't figure she was overgrown currently, she looks pretty on par with photos I see of other's cockatoos. Is there a general time line of how often people get a beak trim? Or is it dependant on the bird?
It depends on the bird. I think @Mizzely has to get Ripley done every few months when he hasn't been chewing enough wood. But I know some members have had to do it up to every 2 months in really bad cases.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I have only ever heard of either unwell birds or those with abnormalities needing regular beak trims- healthy birds who are given things to chew will generally keep their beaks pretty worn down.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Ripley's usually needs done at least once every spring when he gets hormonal and goes on a shedding binge. If he didn't chew wood it would be every 3-4 months I bet. I've only ever had birds with health or beak issues need beak trims

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Her previous owners said they got her beak trimmed when she got her wings clipped, but it never occurred to me to ask if that was a regular thing. But she didn't have a lot of toys in the cage when she was there, so maybe that's why she needed it?

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Her previous owners said they got her beak trimmed when she got her wings clipped, but it never occurred to me to ask if that was a regular thing. But she didn't have a lot of toys in the cage when she was there, so maybe that's why she needed it?
A lot of folks just think that's what you're supposed to do when they get their nails or wings trimmed. We've had to tell several folks that it's not necessary or needed at this time and it suprises them since they just assume it needs to be done.

But in general the more they chew proper hard wood the less chance that a beak trim is necessary is most non medical cases.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
SHe's a cutie and her beak looks fine.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
A lot of folks just think that's what you're supposed to do when they get their nails or wings trimmed. We've had to tell several folks that it's not necessary or needed at this time and it suprises them since they just assume it needs to be done.

But in general the more they chew proper hard wood the less chance that a beak trim is necessary is most non medical cases.
That's the way it was in my clinic mostly, but there were a few clients who insisted on regular beak trims - Maybe it's an old school thought process, from what I remember seeing it was always the older clients who regularly asked for it.

Good to know though, it's been one of those things I keep thinking about but couldn't see a reason why she'd need it done.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I've been offered a lot of cosmetic "trims" for other birds. Basically just makes them look nice but usually doesn't really have a benefit for the bird!

Domothebudgie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
When gonzo(slender bill) was young, he would need a beak trim every 3-4 months. If he didn’t, then the tip would end up snapping/splitting. Now that he’s older, he seems to chew on wood more. And I haven’t really needed to get him a beak trim for the past few years. He’s also gotten it polished before, but that’s mostly just for looks.

F6C899D4-31B7-4FF1-B05D-9A586B387BE1.jpeg

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I agree with pretty much everything already said here. I have noticed certain speices have naturally longer beaks than others. Like @Domothebudgie 's Gonzo. Like @Mizzely said generally it's a health problem or a anomaly with the beak, like scissors beak, that it needs a trim. My current vet will offer it as part of an exam. While last vet would mainly do it for medical reasons.

Interestingly I found it helpful with Zane. Because he was self mutilator when his beak when dull and rounded he couldn't harm himself as much.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
When gonzo(slender bill) was young, he would need a beak trim every 3-4 months. If he didn’t, then the tip would end up snapping/splitting. Now that he’s older, he seems to chew on wood more. And I haven’t really needed to get him a beak trim for the past few years. He’s also gotten it polished before, but that’s mostly just for looks.

View attachment 427089
He's so beautiful!

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
I have only had to get beak trims every few yrs as my birds are always chewing :cool:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I have never had any of my birds' beaks trimmed. Typically, it's not needed for a healthy bird. I have had the sides of Elvis's beak buffed twice - not for cosmetic reasons- but because the sides were really rough and things were catching on it.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

View attachment 427089
Love him!

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Neither of my cockatoo's has needed their beak trimmed. I give a lot of .25-.5 inch wood pieces that they can chew. Cockatoos just don't seem like the type of bird that will overgrow their beak very often unless there is a serious lack of toys or a liver or other health problem. A healthy cockatoo has an ashy beak. In fact, a shiny beak on a cockatoo used to be considered a symptom of beak and feather disease. If you want to get a sense of what a healthy beak length is, google some picture of wild cockatoos. In most cases, their beak is maintained properly.