• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Beak Peeling

Violet.123

Moving in
Hello all!

So I'm a little concerned. Chai is a 4yrs old female ringneck. Her beak seems to be peeling but I have never seen it peel like this, it seems a little white at the end. Aside from the beak, she seems like normal active self. So I'm not sure if I should take her to the vet just in case. Has anyone had experience with this? 20200924_184428.jpg

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Is she rubbing it on anything, like a perch, or toy? Try rubbing some Vitamin E oil on it for a few days, Merlin,,my IRN, his beak gets weird and dry, flaky, when the humidity is very low, if in doubt, vet time..

BirdLady13

Sprinting down the street
Beak peeling can be from a dietary deficiency, likely vitamin A and/or methionine. In that case you would be advised to increase your birds intake of Brazil nuts, broccoli, carrots, mango, papaya, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, spinach, sunflower seeds, and sweet potatoes. Also remember that beaks are similar to fingernails; they can get damaged from trauma and infection.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
More than often some of the chipping is absolutely natural and normal.
Their beaks actually grow from the inside to the outside part you are talking about and must wear or slough off as they renew so they do not become a great heavy thick unusable tool- I know that I had a bit of a stress out the first time I saw Burt's beak splitting chips off it like your birds beak is doing. He has it happen from time to time and he has no deficiencies or dietary issues and the vet did not make mention of it even though it was probably at its roughest when he saw her last.

I personally would not stress too much and just keep an eye on it. If it has been a while since her last annual check up then maybe make an appointment and discuss it with the vet then but I honestly do not think it is cause for concern.

Violet.123

Moving in
Thank you all so much! She went for an annual checkup in July when her beak was peeling but the vet didn't say anything about it. It just looked worse now so I was concerned. For now, I'll just be more mindful of her diet in case and watch to see if anything changes with her beak.