• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Beak Pain and Warmth

ParrotMama

Moving in
Real Name
Esther
I need some advice ASAP until I can get my bird to a vet tomorrow.

My 2-year old Blue Crown Conure took off flying and wound up hit the floor yesterday afternoon. She was fine and did not act like anything was wrong. Nothing appeared wrong when I checked her. An hour later, I asked my husband to check her over again, just in case.

We noticed that the TIP (last cm or two) was cracked all the way around. It appeared to be dark red, but was not bleeding.

Today she has shown signs of pain. She is eating, but will not pick up and eat food the way that she normally does. She is eating out of the side of her beak, instead of from the front. She cries out in pain when she accidentally touches something with the tip.

Her beak is warm, but her feet are not. She is still playful and spirited, but is a little less wild than she normally is. I do not trust our local emergency animal hospital's avian vet (it is a university learning hospital - they kept calling my friend's green cheek a sun conure), but her amazing avian vet will be available in the morning.

She was climbing around OK, but was having issues at bedtime because of beak tenderness. It is only the tip that bothers her - I can kiss the top part just fine.

I need advice! :banghead:

ArtBird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Celia
Awwwww...I'm so sorry....I know exactly how you feel. My little Sennie, Ki was being rambunctious, and flew into the side of the refrigerator, bonked his beak and cracked it, up by the nares just on one side...about two years ago. I was freaked out!! My avian vet gave him some pain med drops, and if I remember correctly, gave him a shot immediately to help w the pain. He had sort of dislodged one side ... no real bleeding, but it panicked me nonetheless. Vet said that he would be fine. He was sore for a few days/week, and then started to feel better.

The big picture: It healed really well, now its perfectly fine, and he is as boisterous as ever. It happens!!

It will grow back, she may need help shaping it, but I'm sure the avian vet will be able to help her just fine. Don't panic.. :hug8:

Long shot: Do you have any left-over pain meds like Metacam possibly ? I had some left from him having a sore toe and was able to use that as well. As soon as she gets something for the pain, she will feel better. Maybe pad the bottom of her cage just in case?

Perhaps someone else will weigh in.... :heart:

ParrotMama

Moving in
Real Name
Esther
Thanks so much for the quick reply! I really appreciate it.

I don't have any pain meds for her unfortunately. She's in her sleeping cage covered up as she likes and seems to be getting a good night's sleep, so that makes me feel a little better about things. Overall she seems to be okay unless she has to use her beak to move around or climb, which hurts her a bit. She just kind of gives a little squeak like it bothers her and then she's fine again.

When she wakes up, I'll call her vet if she's still hurting. I'm hoping that I don't have to take her in tomorrow because it's pretty cold outside. I don't want to put her through freezing temperatures even for the few minutes it takes to get her from the house to the car. If I have to, I'll just do my best to keep a warm blanket around her travel cage, but I'd rather not put her through the cold even for a second.

Mainly, I just want to make sure she's going to be okay. That's the most important thing. Her beak isn't bleeding at all, and the crack is at the very tip. I don't want to trim it myself because she's just had that done a little over a week ago and I don't want to mess with it until it's had some time to grow out again.

The main things I'm worried about is that her beak seems a little warmer than usual (her feet are normal temperature, though) and the crack seems to be a little painful when she moves around. Does it seem like she'll be fine? ArtBird, from what I read in your post, your feathered baby's problem was similar and it healed up quickly. It would be a huge load off my shoulders if everything was okay and I'm just overreacting. :)

ArtBird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Celia
I understand. However- she IS in a lot of pain, and I know you'd rather not go out or move her...but- you need to get her in to the vet...she needs a pain shot and also in case there is a more serious underlying problem, the vet will catch it. Sometimes birds can hurt their beaks in a way that will result in them growing back crooked, or misshapen. Your vet can help make sure that doesnt happen. I was scared of that happening with Ki, but we were lucky. I'm glad she is sleeping....but please take her in first thing in the morning- you will feel so much better, and she will too! If she is squeaking in pain...thats the equivalent of us SCREAMING. They usually try and hide anything wrong. Also, you dont want her dealing with the pain for the next week or two....that can have serious consequences.

I wish someone would post that knows more! o_O
http://forums.avianavenue.com/index.php?members/zoo-mom.3326/ where are you?

Last edited:

ParrotMama

Moving in
Real Name
Esther
I agree with all of that. It looks like the best thing to do is to let her get some sleep and give the vet a call in the morning to see what needs to be done. If they can get that little section trimmed up, it'll be a lot better for her and I definitely don't want her to go through any unnecessary pain.

Thanks so much for your help. I've been worried about this all night. :)

ParrotMama

Moving in
Real Name
Esther
I sure will! I've got about 6 hours until the vet opens. I'm going to try to get some sleep. I'll keep you updated!

ParrotMama

Moving in
Real Name
Esther
Oh, I just wanted to add that I went ahead and left a voice message detailing what happened on her vet's answering machine. I figured there was a chance they would get the message before they were open and accepting calls / appointments and either call me back or be ready to tell me what to do when I call in.

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in humans, the spot we banged would become hot because blood is rusing to it. I bet that's why.
Thank you for taking her in- please let us know how it goes!

ParrotMama

Moving in
Real Name
Esther
Great news!

I just talked to her doctor and he said not to worry about bringing her in right now because she's eating, there's no bleeding and the cracked portion is not loose. He said keep her eating, give her soft foods to supplement what she already has and the beak should heal on its own in a few days. If the situation doesn't improve in a few days, he'll put some glue in the crack and give her pain medication until it gets better. I just have to watch to make sure her eating habits stay the same.

I'm so relieved. She's literally got the best doctor in the region, and I'm so happy he took a moment to speak with me personally over the phone about this. We didn't sleep all night because we were worried and wanted to keep an eye on her and be there in case she called out to us or needed us through the night.

Thank you so much for welcoming me and for the support. I appreciate you guys and I'll be sure to keep you apprised of her situation. :)

Last edited:

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great!! Oh, and welcome!! Didn't notice you were new! :)

ArtBird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Celia
Great news!

I just talked to her doctor and he said not to worry about bringing her in right now because she's eating, there's no bleeding and the cracked portion is not loose. He said keep her eating, give her soft foods to supplement what she already has and the beak should heal on its own in a few days. If the situation doesn't improve in a few days, he'll put some glue in the crack and give her pain medication until it gets better. I just have to watch to make sure her eating habits stay the same.

I'm so relieved. She's literally got the best doctor in the region, and I'm so happy he took a moment to speak with me personally over the phone about this. We didn't sleep all night because we were worried and wanted to keep an eye on her and be there in case she called out to us or needed us through the night.

Thank you so much for welcoming me and for the support. I appreciate you guys and I'll be sure to keep you apprised of her situation. :)
Sweet! I'm so glad you talked to him. I was also sleepless with worry when Ki hurt his beak. We just love them so much its hard to think of them in pain.
I personally, would still give something for the pain, but I'm not sure what the vet would recommend. Thats just me...I dont want Ki to be in one moment of pain. :unsure1:

You did great, and I'm so glad you posted.

Cara

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
Rocky (GW) did something similar to his beak. We kept him on soft, mushy food for a few days and he was fine after that. Glad you called the vet, though! Welcome!