• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Beak issue

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
It looks pretty good to me, honestly. I hope this is the start of an upswing for you both. I think the fact that he's been living with this so long and still doing well as far as eating/weight/activity is a really good sign against it being something like cancer that would spread.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor little guy! He looks remarkably bright, all things considering.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Poor baby boy. He’s still as handsome as ever though!
How is he eating? Still good?
I love how well you care for him :heart:

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Poor baby boy. He’s still as handsome as ever though!
How is he eating? Still good?
I love how well you care for him :heart:
Still eating good, yes. Today I got him some more veggies to make chop: carrots, kale, swiss chard, dandelion greens, baby broccoli. Tomorrow I'll be making that.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I find that Chirp seems to be eating more since his beak got worse. I can't really complain too much, lol. Right now he's pigging out, head in the food bowl. He's been doing so well, I'm really surprised. I'm so proud of him. He's such a strong little boy.

Here's Chirp's current mash recipe! Served daily with fresh water (2oz of water and 16 drops of milk thistle). He eats probably about 1/2 of it daily, give or take. He really likes it. When he finishes this batch of chop I'll start him on the next one, which had baby broccoli and dandelion grees, in addition to the chard, kale and carrots. I also made him some quinoa sprouts (I was surprised how quick they were, I only soaked them overnight and they already had little tails!), those are in the freezer with the chop.

Chirp's mash

1tbsp of Zupreem Natural Pellets
1 Senior Nutriberry, crumbled
1tsp of quinoa sprouts
1tbsp of chop (mixed veggies)
1/4tsp of ceylon cinnamon
3 drops of flax seed oil
A pinch of yunnan baiyao
4 drops of milk thistle
2tbsp of water

Add powders, liquids (including the water) and veggies/sprouts into bowl. Add the nutriberry. Mix well. Add pellets. Allow time to soak up water and serve!

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm do glad Chirp is eating more!!! I think the medication for the pain must be helping greatly.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Today we saw the vet.

Unfortunately, she says it is behaving much like a tumor. If it were bacterial or fungal, the medication would have done something, or we would have seen some sort of change. As she was checking his beak, a little bit of the mass came off, so she had to pack some of the yunnan baiyao on there. It's just so fragile since he finished the last round of clavamox.

So we're putting him on Clavamox for life, at this point. His mass in his beak seems to be much better on it vs off of it. We also had the quality of life talk- We agree that he still has a great quality of life. He's still happy, comfortable, and pain-free as far as I can tell. And we will support him as long as that quality is there.

She sent me home with 2 bottles of Clavamox. One already mixed, and after 2 weeks I will mix the 2nd one. She will see us back in 4 weeks, she is hopeful that we can back off on the frequency of the appointments.

I'm trying to stay optimistic. Just because it's probably a tumor, it doesn't necessarily mean it's cancer, right?

Chirp says thank you for all the kind thoughts.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Thinking of you little Chirp!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Oh Bee I’m sorry it wasn’t better news the vet was able to give you today. :sadhug2:
Quality of life is something that is so important for our companion animals and I think it’s great you had that chat with the vet. You will know when Chirp feels that quality slipping away- they seem to give you a very different look when they trust you enough to share their vulnerabilities with you.

I have heard of people having tumors that are not cancerous so I would assume the same is possible for birds.

Thinking of you and Chirp and sending you both lots of loving thoughts :)

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Here's his beak as of today. It's hard to look at his beak like this. But he's still eating, still yelling and playing and being happy. He even modeled for the camera (he's a big ham when the camera comes out). Plus a big yawn.

(please excuse the rough feathers, he's currently going through a molt. The blood on his face is from when he was at the vet.)

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He's a cage flower! Looks like he really enjoyed modeling for the camera. Bea, someone on AA works for a vets office & owns an Ekkie. I believe... the answer to the question is yes, it can go either way regarding cancer. I believe @Clueless would remember the person's id. I known Mary & Sarah know them, I just cannot remember who it is...

:sadhug2: Don't let this become consuming & maybe someone here will know that person's id.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Also the little cage he's in in the photos isn't his regular cage, this is the "if-****-hits-the-fan" cage. I mainly use it for photos 'cause it has great lighting from my aerogarden, lol. I caught Chirp eyeballing my basil and dill when I was taking these pics.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Also the little cage he's in in the photos isn't his regular cage, this is the "if-****-hits-the-fan" cage. I mainly use it for photos 'cause it has great lighting from my aerogarden, lol. I caught Chirp eyeballing my basil and dill when I was taking these pics.
Makes sense... I thought a couple of those photos looked like he was thinking, "when are you gonna put the camera away and feed me something tasty?"

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I was going to tag you on a new thread. Newcomer posted she noticed a bump on her budgies beak last week and then .... well, if you would please go look at this thread. She doesn't know if an injury happened but the beak is in pretty bad shape right now. I'm wondering if this could be some sort of cancer that started on the beak and progressed quickly. I can't remember if Chirp had a growth/bump on his beak ( not cere) before all this started.