• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Beak issue

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I was looking at Chirp just a little bit ago, and his beak is overgrown on one side and it seems like it's longer than it should be. I've already called the vet, we have an appointment for 4:30 on Thursday (which is the soonest either of the AVs are in).

Until I started feeding a certain kind of "Food", everything was fine. I don't know if the beak thing and the food are related. I am going to bring the "food" to the vet and see what she thinks. I would ask for bloodwork but they don't do it on birds that little.

Does anyone have anything to chime in? I don't know what to do and I'm just scared at this point, honestly. I don't know how I could have missed this. I feel like a bad parront.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I hope that it's nothing serious. I'm not sure how far you are from Niles animal hospital but I do believe they would be able to take blood if you're interested in a more thorough exam. I know you like your vet so I'm not suggesting you change. Just thought I'd mention it incase you ever wanted blood testing. Good luck on Thursday!

aqualover9

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Adriana
@Lady Jane ? Hope nothing is too serious! Remember that you are being a great parront by asking on AA!:hug8:

Greencheek Lee

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee
My GCC had an overgrown beak. I freaked out when I read it could indicate liver issues, but no reason was found. For years we had it trimmed ever few weeks. It can just happen, take a deep breath and try not to worry unless you have a confirmed reason. You're doing the best you can:hug4:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Overgrown beaks can be for a lot of reasons, and health is only one of them! You are not a bad parront at all! However, if it is a health reason, bloodwork is the only real way to figure out what it is to tackle it. Many ailments show up with the same symptoms but very different treatment, so not having bloodwork to go off of is sort of like throwing darts in the dark and hoping you hit the bullseye.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
His beak may be just slightly misaligned and thats why you are getting the growth pattern that you are. The one side that is shorter is hitting just fine so it is naturally wearing down the way it should, but the other side and front may not be hitting the bottom beak appropriately and allowing it to overgrow.

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
The third pic definitely looks overgrown. And I bet the jagged edge there will resolve once he gets a trim and can chew on toys better. My conure had like a tusk on one side, vet seemed to think it was nothing, and once I got him interested in harder woods it's gotten worn down and looks normal. You're not a bad bird parent! Things like this are the type of thing you don't notice until one day it hits you!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Here is a picture of a budgie with an overgrown beak caused by liver disease.

Your budgie's beak appears to be much too long, but doesn't appear to be from disease. A trim or two will probably straighten you budgie's right up.

Here is a normal beak for a healthy budgie.

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Rapid beak growth has been associated with liver issues. Hopefully that's not the case with Chirp.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I looked it up- I fed these foods from this vendor starting on June 8th, until about 2 days ago, on the 10th. Is just over 2 months long enough for long-term liver issues to appear? I fed 3 products (one of the sprout mixes and two of the seed mixes).

I guess we'll find out at the vet. I'll see if she's able to take blood from a toenail or blood feather or something, maybe that's an option. I will also report back on his weight and what she says about his beak.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
An Avian Vet can get blood out of a tiny bird. One of my Avian's got a blood sample from my P'let!

For sure overgrown. Many times it is liver related. But there is hope to detox it. One would be surely trying milk/thistle dandelion and fresh dandelion greens. Does chirp eat veggies? Pellets? And seed I am sure.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Does chirp eat veggies? Pellets? And seed I am sure.
Pellets yes, seeds every other day (but pellets are always offered, and those are usually eaten first on seed days), veggies no. He won't touch veggies with a ten foot pole.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Pellets yes, seeds every other day (but pellets are always offered, and those are usually eaten first on seed days), veggies no. He won't touch veggies with a ten foot pole.
What brand pellets is Chirp eating. But regardless that is great he eats pellets. A conversion might not be a bad idea to try Harrison's HP if there is a liver issue. They certainly helped Sophie's diet with elevated liver enzymes. Please update when you can. They will shape that beak for you and from there, see how long it takes to stay normal or overgrow again.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
What brand pellets is Chirp eating. But regardless that is great he eats pellets. A conversion might not be a bad idea to try Harrison's HP if there is a liver issue. They certainly helped Sophie's diet with elevated liver enzymes. Please update when you can. They will shape that beak for you and from there, see how long it takes to stay normal or overgrow again.
Zupreem Naturals. When I first got him on pellets I tried the fruity ones but he didn't like those, I also tried Roudybush but he wouldn't eat those. Do you happen to know if Harrison's sends out samples? I know some do.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Zupreem Naturals. When I first got him on pellets I tried the fruity ones but he didn't like those, I also tried Roudybush but he wouldn't eat those. Do you happen to know if Harrison's sends out samples? I know some do.
Yes, they do, atleast the Vet's office (Harrison's own practice before he sold it did) Call them and ask they are cool to talk to. Ask for High Potency Fine or Superfine. My nephews budgies really like the Superfine.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I just found a pic from 6/30/2019, and there is no overgrowth in that pic. So this has been an issue for just over a month. Which honestly idk if that's better or worse.