• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Beak issue

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Sometimes it really is a blessing to have the vet assisted option, I can not think of another more loving caring gift to give to a palliative care pet once their suffering becomes unreasonable to expect them to go on through it anymore.
I think you are making the right choice Bee and I honestly know and appreciate how hard a choice it is to make, we make this sort of choice out of sheer love for our pets not for any other reason.
:sadhug2: :sadhug2: :sadhug2: :sadhug2: :sadhug2:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
we make this sort of choice out of sheer love for our pets not for any other reason.
I couldn't agree with this more.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I couldn't agree with this more.
Me too. As I told Bee earlier, it is really tough to be her age (a minor) and trying to make this decision but it truly is the best thing for him, and her love for him and desire for his suffering to stop is what will make it happen.

It’s so hard though. And it’s hard to know when the right time is. And you second guess yourself forever.

That’s why the vets have guidelines and can help us decide.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Doubting myself again. Is this the right choice? Is it peaceful? I'm scared he'll struggle and be afraid. Or that he'll think I'm killing him. Or that it hurts him and he dies afraid, thinking I betrayed him and hurt him.
No.

No doubting.

The vet will know and will be honest with you.

My sister-in-law held her poodle when he was put to sleep. She said he just fell asleep.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
It's just, birds are so little, and he's so feisty. With Tink, she was almost gone and couldn't even move, so hers was very peaceful. It was a very different thing with her.

I'm just so scared and confused and worried and I feel like a bad person for even thinking about it.

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I recently took this journey with my beloved German Shepherd 2 months ago. The transition to peace is gentle. I held my beloved girl, whispering everything I needed to say to her while she passed over.
Even the day of, I struggled, wondering if I was doing the right thing. In my heart I knew it was, but letting go is brutally tough.
We help our beloved pets find peace because of our deep love for them. It's one of the most difficult decisions we can ever make. Please know that we are here for you and that we will support you any way that we can.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I'm just so scared and confused and worried and I feel like a bad person for even thinking about it.
I know that feeling well. With MC, just walking to his cage every morning before that surgery . . . You're far, far, far from a bad person.

You are with people that know how you feel and understand the love of a feathered friend.

We're walking with you.

Hang in there.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Doubting myself again. Is this the right choice? Is it peaceful? I'm scared he'll struggle and be afraid. Or that he'll think I'm killing him. Or that it hurts him and he dies afraid, thinking I betrayed him and hurt him.
I am still grateful to the vet who put Harley down. :( He let me stay in the room & even offered to let me hold her. I declined to hold her because I was worried I wouldn't do it correctly. She was a little feisty at first (classic Harley) when he put the mask over her, but he talked softly to her and stroked her & she calmed down even faster than she used to for me. :pinksmile: Then he turned on the gas and kept stroking her and checking her heart with his stethoscope before increasing it a little more each time; he said he wanted her to go to sleep gently. Once he was sure she was gone he offered again to let me hold her. Then he helped lead me back to the exam room because I could barely see and told me I could take as much time as I needed there.

I don't think it was scary for her. I pictured how carefree and IDGAF I feel before sleepiness kicks in when I am given nitrous at the dentist. Plus, as hard as it was for me to be there, I think it probably helped her to hear my voice; she was mostly blind for years and we used sounds to let her know when we were near. I feel it wasn't about what I needed & that by being there with her and talking to her I did my part to not let her feel alone.

I hope this makes sense & there aren't too many errors. It's hard to text when you're crying. :sad11:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I’ll be honest and say I have not been there at the end with a bird through vet assisted euthanasia but nearly every other pet you can think of I’ve been with as they took their last breath.
Ive never seen it as anything but very peaceful for the animals involved.
The best gift you can give an ailing/failing body that has no chance of recovery is the freedom to feel at rest, be pain and disability free and keep their dignity.
I’ve had many friends who felt they couldn’t assist their own animals to their next journey ask me to accompany them to their last vet visit so there’s someone there the animal knows and who will love on the pet till it’s over - I think it’s honestly the most loving unselfish thing you can do for your loved pet once a pet no longer has a quality of life.
Animals don’t hang on to wanting just another day or another five minutes, they don’t live in thoughts of regrets or wishes, they accept life as it is right now and they also accept death when it’s ready to meet them.
It’s humans who assign negative emotions and fears and silly rules to death and overthink the whole process of it..... animals accept it as part of the journey. It’s not a bad thing and neither is making the decision.
I do honestly believe most vets won’t even mention euthanasia until they feel the animal is better off being freed from their current body. At least that has always been my experience with vets and sick/ageing/ dying pets.
I do believe at times it is actually crueler to want another day with an animal than it is to think of what day I should say goodbye.
This is something you personally need to work out and weigh up for yourself Bee and if you tell the vet you are really having a hard time working out when it becomes cruel to keep Chirp going and let them know you’re feeling like a bad person for considering his euthanasia visit they will be very honest with you- ask them to be. Ask your vet what they would be doing for Chirp if he was their bird- that may help you with this decision and feeling.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I’ll be honest and say I have not been there at the end with a bird through vet assisted euthanasia but nearly every other pet you can think of I’ve been with as they took their last breath.
Ive never seen it as anything but very peaceful for the animals involved.
The best gift you can give an ailing/failing body that has no chance of recovery is the freedom to feel at rest, be pain and disability free and keep their dignity.
I’ve had many friends who felt they couldn’t assist their own animals to their next journey ask me to accompany them to their last vet visit so there’s someone there the animal knows and who will love on the pet till it’s over - I think it’s honestly the most loving unselfish thing you can do for your loved pet once a pet no longer has a quality of life.
Animals don’t hang on to wanting just another day or another five minutes, they don’t live in thoughts of regrets or wishes, they accept life as it is right now and they also accept death when it’s ready to meet them.
It’s humans who assign negative emotions and fears and silly rules to death and overthink the whole process of it..... animals accept it as part of the journey. It’s not a bad thing and neither is making the decision.
I do honestly believe most vets won’t even mention euthanasia until they feel the animal is better off being freed from their current body. At least that has always been my experience with vets and sick/ageing/ dying pets.
I do believe at times it is actually crueler to want another day with an animal than it is to think of what day I should say goodbye.
This is something you personally need to work out and weigh up for yourself Bee and if you tell the vet you are really having a hard time working out when it becomes cruel to keep Chirp going and let them know you’re feeling like a bad person for considering his euthanasia visit they will be very honest with you- ask them to be. Ask your vet what they would be doing for Chirp if he was their bird- that may help you with this decision and feeling.
It's mostly decided at this point I just... hope I'm doing what's right

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
It's mostly decided at this point I just... hope I'm doing what's right
Bee, I honestly believe you are. He can’t be comfortable the way he is. He knows you love him to bits and he will be hiding what he can for you- they do things like that when they know how much we think we need them..... it must be a terrible burden on him. Tell him he is free to go and he will always have your love and your heart, tell him how special he is to you. I promise he will not think you’re horrible and mean for this decision, just be with him and continue to support him so he leaves here as peacefully as he has lived with you. It’s a very loving generous gift of freedom you’re giving to him, remember that. :sadhug2:

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
I have no idea if it helps... or if your AV does it differently... but Peanut didn't suffer.

Don't read it if you don't think you can handle it right now but it might also be comforting to you.
For a teeny old bird with teeny fragile veins, they filled a medium container with anesthetic gas while I said goodbye, I wasn't allowed to place her in but I handed her off to her vet on a towel and she was just as gentile and loving as I would have been. Peanut was tired and hurting, not afraid or confused. She was asleep in seconds from the gas. I was asked to leave, the next part is humane but not something the owner needs to be a part of. Once she was fully unconscious, feeling nothing, they gave her a shot in the heart to stop it. I had already made arrangements to have her cremated and had footprints made in clay.

Her pain was over, I can't say the same for mine but every day it hurts the tiniest bit less, every week I have a little more control over my insomnia, every month I have fewer recurring nightmares where I am frantically searching for her.
It hurts but the world continues to turn. All you can do is carry on and let time do it's thing.

Ulis_Beast

Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi
The fact that you doubt yourself only tells me you have his best interest in mind. Please be assured you are not a bad person. His little heart knows only love and kindness from you. That is how you will be remembered.

When I had to make the decision with Luke (a horse) it was heartbreaking, but also liberating (we were fighting tetanus in combination with severe asthma). After 10 days of agony in the intensive care at the hospital, the vet told me it was probably time. She gave me an hour to decide..

I held his head in my lap whispering softly to him. I can honestly say his last exhale sounded like he was finally at peace and happy.

We fight with them and for them as long as we can. Sadly it is sometimes more humane to let them go, kinder to set their souls soar.