• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

beak flake

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
When Pi bruised his beak it took about 10 months for it to finally grow out. Beaks do take time.

What are you adding to his chop? Maybe you could give a few more vitamin rich options, silverbeet, carrots, broccoli leaves etc :) My parrotlets are very big fans of carrot.

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
When Pi bruised his beak it took about 10 months for it to finally grow out. Beaks do take time.

What are you adding to his chop? Maybe you could give a few more vitamin rich options, silverbeet, carrots, broccoli leaves etc :) My parrotlets are very big fans of carrot.
Depends on what I have, but they regularly get red beet, carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, cucumber, eggplant, red pepper with seeds, tomato, sweet potato, celery, apple, TOPS, chia seeds, birdie greens, pumpkin seeds, brown rice or cooked large seeds (from the seed mix). + sprouted seeds, and regular seeds for foraging or treats.
Pichu also gets sugar snaps and broccoli tops regularly, so fig, pomegranate, orange etc.. from time to time. He gets to taste some of our food too.
I think that covers it...

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
wow!! :scared2: Looks very painful!! :(

It was painful getting it filed down. It actually bled the first time because of the malnourishment :(

20180823_143100-2.jpg

All this to say your bird is likely not suffering this level of beak issues ;) But a multivitamin to help make sure any deficiencies are covered is rarely a bad thing!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Poor Little Ripley! What a lucky little guy to find you @Mizzely

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Poor little guy... I read something advising against beak filling if avoidable because the beak is very sensitive and the bird would feel like it bird had to crush stones with broken teeth :jawdrop1:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Poor little guy... I read something advising against beak filling if avoidable because the beak is very sensitive and the bird would feel like it bird had to crush stones with broken teeth :jawdrop1:

I have never heard that. All my birds have had a small amount of beak filing over the years without issues. Ripley NEEDED it done.... He has a slight scissorbeak so part of his lower mandible grows up and over his top mandible if he doesn't have wood to chew on (which is why you don't see evidence of it much in my photos anymore) but also the old, bad growth needed to be taken away to help his beak grow in correctly.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I didn't mean I didn't know it could be painful :) of course it can be. Done properly it should not cause pain except in circumstances like Ripley's was my point :) I don't do cosmetic trims, I promise!

It was the crunching stones with broken teeth part I'd never heard of.
no misunderstanding here, that is the article where I read about it :)