• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Beak bleeding what can I do???

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLmom

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
Kai was hanging from the window ledge and I went to take him off and somehow his beak was stuck or something I'm not sure how but now the tip is bleeding and it seems the lower part also. It's not bleeding badly but how can I help it stop? Poor baby I feel so so so bad

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
Anyone? I feel so so bad I've never had anything like this happen before. It seems to have stopped bleeding now but whenever he uses his beak it bleeds again so now he won't even take a treat

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
Also seems preening is bothering him. This just happened within the last 30 mins or so. So Im wondering is this just something that will pass or do I need to do something for him?

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Stop the bleeding by using cayenne pepper paste, corn starch or flour. If you can't stop the bleeding you need to get to a vet. If you can get the bleeding to stop you can look and see how bad it is. If it is bad you will need to see a vet right away. Small chips from the beak that are not bleeding badly there is really nothing the vet will do other than maybe pain medicine.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
The beak is very very sensitive. When Korbel broke the tip he could hardly eat for days. It is like a nerve ending. Is it still bleeding?

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
If it starts to bleed again do I hold a but of flour on his beak myself or just put a bit on the bleeding spot? Can he eat it?

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
Oh I feel even worse now. Poor baby seems very uncomfortable. He is licking it and beak grinding and just sitting on his perch

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Did you get a good look at it? Is it just the tip? It does hurt them a great deal and it is also hard to touch the beak to stop the blood. Flour won't hurt him and yes try to hold it on there but he will find it painful. Everytime he touches something with the tip it will hurt. Soft mushy food, keep him calm. If you call your vet they can give you pain medicine.

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
ok thank you. He has gone to his sleep tent and is quiet now. The bleeding stopped and yes it was just the tip that chipped off. I think it may have also chipped his bottom part a bit too but I could not really tell. I will call his vet in the morning.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor baby. Keep an eye on the bleeding. Cayenne pepper paste works well or corn starch. He may need to see a vet for pain relief so he can eat and drink. I hope he feels better soon. :hug8:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
How's he doing this morning? Hoping he is not in to much pain. :hug8:

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
Hi thanks for asking. He seems ok. He ate some mashed baby food and banannas. He seems pretty normal. Now I have to deal with my guilt for causing his pain

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Awww, you didn't mean it. Give it a few days and he will be back to normal. My BG was about 4-5 days of pain and he only had one tiny drop of blood. The tip is just so sensitive and they use it for everything. I'm sure he is not blaming you.

:hug8::hug8:

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Aw poor baby. Glad that the bleeding stopped and that he is willing to eat. Keep an eye on it just to be safe.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Glad to hear he's better this morning.

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
I've noticed that he is eating things from the side of his beak and is avoiding using the tip. Poor thing shakes his head like its painful when he uses the tip to grab things. Do you think the vet may have a pain med that rubs on his beak or something? I had no idea the tip was so sensitive I figured its like a nail or something. Why do some places do beak trimmings? Wouldn't that be terribly painful? I had his beak trimmed once a long time ago. They used a dremmel and he actually didn't seem to mind it.

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Cayenne pepper is great for stopping bleeding and also for pain. I'd keep him on soft foods for a few days as his beak is very sensitive.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
The beaks are no different than the nails. You can trim them but if you come near the vein or nerve it does get painful. Cayenne paste also has a numbing effect, that might help. If it is bad call your vet and they will give you a prescription for him. Poor little guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.