• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Beak and Feather Disease

Status
Not open for further replies.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Oh Kelsey, just reading this now. I am so very sorry you are going through this. :( I am sending positive thoughts your way. Hang tight.:hug8:

LemonGrass

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so sorry kelsey!! 3 days is an awful long time to wait :( If you need to rant plz know we are here to lend an ear. I wish I could give you a real hug but this will have to do: :hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8:

CeddysMum

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Astrid (formerly: 'featherbaby')
Oh No, I'm sorry you didn't get the result, Kelsey! :( Please hang in there!
:hug8::hug8::hug8:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Kelsey, honey, I know how worried you are and no words on our part will be able to help you not worry. Just know that we are here for you whatever the test results might be. And also realize that those results could be false. Your job right now is to focus on your birds. You know them better than anyone and you should be able to tell if there is a problem. You knew in your gut that those budgies were sick no matter what the vet said and it will be the same with the tests. Keep your attention on your birds and do everything you can think of to keep them safe.

Ginger

Juhi882

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Juhi

jerseybella

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
dawn
just wanted to let you know that I know exactaly how you feel:(
I am waiting on PDD results. so i just wanted to

CeddysMum

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Astrid (formerly: 'featherbaby')
How are you doing today, Kelsey?

I agree with Ginger. Try to focus on your flock! I wish there was something we could do to help you through this terrible waiting.

And to Dawn as well

shellbeme

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Shelly
More hugs to you. If I understand correctly the only test that you have the results for so far showed negative-though that came from a flakey doctor. I honestly don't believe much in 'false positives', if a test is positive it likely really is positive and the bird can either fight it off or not. I believe the whole 'false positive' thing came around before they full understood that birds can test positive, fight it off and test negative afterwards.

The virus is one of the smallest that they know of, and lives for a very long time in the environment and I'm sure accidents can happen but I don't think it's that likely to float into the vial where the blood is drawn. *shrugs* never know though.

I thought, that I had read that the wing and tail feathers were the last to be effected-that contour feathers were the first to show signs of the disease. I would, however, expect that an experienced avian vet, especially one in Australia where this disease originated would know it if they saw it. And again, it's suppose to effect different species in slightly different ways and I haven't done much reading on how it effects budgies.

It will get better sweetie-I spent days upon days crying, had to go home early from work because all I could think about was that I may have exposed Chico to PBFD. I was a complete mess. I am hoping everything comes out negative for you and that all your birdies remain healthy. I know the waiting is terribly difficult. *hugs*

Were his urates (the white part) greenish at all that you noticed? That is also a sign, one that Scooter had which I didn't realize until after all was done. Birds also stop producing dust, and their nails tend to grow really long. Looking back, Scooter did have longer than average nails. They are small signs that I would never have known to look for before.

MollyMouse

Kelsey I agree with Ginger. Please feel free to call me if you would like my number to talk to someone, we are all here for you :hug8:

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
I got the results back. Instead of reasurring me it has now just confused me and made me worry even more.

Here are the result certificate:

Green-Cheeked Conure - Cian
PBFD - NOT DETECTED
POLYOMA - NOT DETECTED

Green-Cheeked Conure - Freya
PBFD - NOT DETECTED
POLYOMA - NOT DETECTED

Budgie - Bacon (Male)
PBFD - NOT DETECTED
POLYOMA - NOT DETECTED

Budgie - Cheese (Female)
PBFD - NOT DETECTED
POLYOMA - NOT DETECTED

They used Nucleic Acid Amplification Procedure to process the blood. What is this?

So do these results mean that the birds were not shedding the virus at the time the blood was taken? Or that the result was gotten because the blood sample was too small? I also read that there are many different strains of PBFD and home testing companies might not test for all the different strains, just the ones that are most likely to occur.

From what I've read, if a bird shows physical symptoms of PBFD and the blood result comes back NEGATIVE, then the bird should be taken in for a blood test and a feather biopsy or something?

Yes?

I will be phoning the vet with the results tomorrow. I'm hoping he gives some advice because I definitely want to persue this further.

As for Dende, his bloodwork showed that he did not have abnormal white blood cells. There where a few "dodgy" ones floating around but nothing to be concerned about.

His liver and kidneys were well within normal numbers but his pancreas showed numbers in the 800s instead of his usual 400s.

My vet diagnosed him with pancreatitis and he is on antibiotics (Augmentin) to prevent any secondary infections while we try and get his pancreas back to normal through diet.

Could PBFD have cause all of this!?

Shelly, I found some information that our government released that might help you. Here is the link: Hygiene Protocols for the Prevention and Control of Diseases (Particularly Beak and Feather Disease) in Australian Birds - Chapter 8

They say that a disinfectant called Virkon S is probably most effective against PBFD and should be used to clean environments and equipment that came in contact with the virus.

Last edited:

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
I forgot to answer your other questions Shelly.

Apparently in Budgies it manifests in the same way Polyoma or "French Moult" does. So the tail and flight feathers become stumpy.

It really is a living hell. It is a complete and utter nightmare that I cannot wake up from.

The Budgies did have green droppings at the start and we put that down to their liver issues. Since converting them to pellets their droppings have turned the colour of the pellets (beige). No green.

The Budgies are producing dust. At least, there is dust on the seed skirt around their cage.

Their nails are long and brittle. The female's nail snapped off completely when I had to transfer them from one cage to the other. It bled for ages and ages. The male also bleeds continuesly when a fat feather capsule thing is plucked from him.

Thank you once again for all your advice and support. It does mean a lot to me and it does help.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
just wanted to let you know that I know exactaly how you feel:(
I am waiting on PDD results. so i just wanted to

:hug8::hug8::hug8: We are here for you too Dawn!

shellbeme

Real Name
Shelly
Thank you for the link Kelsey and the input on the budgies. Weren't they housed in a different location than your birds? If it's already been a while you birds, if exposed could have already fought off the disease, or perhaps they never came in contact with it at all :) I know there are several different tests they do for pbfd so I would definantly check with the vet like you planned to find out exactly what they tested for. (I don't know the details of the different ones) Some test if they are shedding it, some test if it's in the blood at the current time, some test to see if they have ever had it before.

You can always test for it again in 90 days to be sure but I hope after talking to your vet that these results at least give you some peace of mind. As far as Dende's pancreatitis, we know PBFD attacks the immune system which makes them susceptible to secondary infections but from the sounds of it the poor guy has had many issues already so maybe just have him tested (or maybe you did already) and see what happens from there?

I know you are going through much right now but I want to let you know you are a good bird mom :) *hugs*

Blackford

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tyne
Oh sweetie :hug8::hug8:

I was doing some more digging and it turns out that vet I told you about, Ross Perry is actually one of the leading PBFD experts here. Have you contacted him yet?

He is a holistic practitioner aswell, and may have some other ideas for Dende? I know he is really into loris aswell as all birds of course.....

Quest

Real Name
Judy
Hang in there. Thanks for
sharing and educating the rest of us.
I know you are having a rough time.
We are here for you.:toyou:

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
Thank you so much everyone.

Dawn, I am so sorry that you are going through this PDD scare. It is a living nightmare. I know. I will keep you and your lovely fid in my thoughts and prayers too.

I'm trying to organise a PCR test to be done on the male Budgie. It is ridiculous how difficult it is to find someone to test accurately for PBFD in Australia!

I'm trying and trying though. This whole experience has changed the way I think and has absolutely strengthened my resolve to become an avian vet.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Thank you for the link Kelsey and the input on the budgies. Weren't they housed in a different location than your birds? If it's already been a while you birds, if exposed could have already fought off the disease, or perhaps they never came in contact with it at all :) I know there are several different tests they do for pbfd so I would definantly check with the vet like you planned to find out exactly what they tested for. (I don't know the details of the different ones) Some test if they are shedding it, some test if it's in the blood at the current time, some test to see if they have ever had it before.
Here in the states, they do two tests...one to find out if the bird has ever been exposed and the other to see if they are currently shedding the disease. It is odd that there isn't more information and correct testing in Australia where PBFD seems to occur in the natural population. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.