• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Be honest! Does your bird get any fast food?

JornsBergenson

Walking the driveway
Do you share fast food with your bird? Be honest now!

Today, Toby the Eclectus got some Vietnamese for lunch: I ordered some Pho and shared rice noodles, basil, bean sprouts, jalapeno, cilantro and a little chicken. Tonight, my wife planned to cook but we ended up getting Chick-Fil-A. I shared a little bit of salad with Toby: black beans, corn, pepitas (pumpkin seeds) and lettuce.
He goes nut over any "people food". He rips the chopsticks out of my hands as I dish some in his bowl. It is a little scary.

Are there any fast foods that you feel safe feeding your bird in small quantities?

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Nope, I kicked the fast food habit years ago. I lost a lot of weight and never started up that habit again. Once in a while we get pizza, Fred likes the crust.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Not anymore. Take heed my friend. People food is not very good for them. Don't be too surprised when sometime down the road he starts to refuse to eat what's good for him (bird food) and holds out for junk food because the appetite gets "perverted".

Your kids will never eat their broccoli if there's always cake to be had.

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Do you share fast food with your bird? Be honest now!

Today, Toby the Eclectus got some Vietnamese for lunch: I ordered some Pho and shared rice noodles, basil, bean sprouts, jalapeno, cilantro and a little chicken. Tonight, my wife planned to cook but we ended up getting Chick-Fil-A. I shared a little bit of salad with Toby: black beans, corn, pepitas (pumpkin seeds) and lettuce.
He goes nut over any "people food". He rips the chopsticks out of my hands as I dish some in his bowl. It is a little scary.

Are there any fast foods that you feel safe feeding your bird in small quantities?
I am trying to avoid that with Bailey. He is only 4 months old and isn't really interested in people food and I am trying to keep it that way. A few days ago, I was eating a salad and I gave Bailey washed lettuce because he looked interested. He decided that the plate tasted better and then he dunked the lettuce into his food bowl. He eats a diet of pellets/seeds/dehydrated organic veggies with millet as a treat. Also even with salads, most fast food has way too much sodium for them.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I used to with my Quaker but then he started getting aggressive if I didn't share my food, even biting my son to make him drop his food :( So no, I don't share junk food anymore.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I don't eat out much anymore, and definitely no fast food, buuut.... I share my food with her if I haven't salted it, and she looks interested. I eat a lot of stuff I don't really want to try to get her interested, so maybe I just eat a lot of bird food!

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
When I got Pippin, I asked the seller what his favourite treat was - she sheepishly said "Burger King french fries" :I

My birds get a nibble of bagel, bread, or tortilla only occasionally, and if they're super well-behaved, maybe a flake of cereal. No chips, no fries, no salty snacks.

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Never. No processed anything.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Nope.

The only things I bring in to share are fresh fruits.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I never eat it, but if I did my birds would not get any of it. The only food I share with them are tiny pieces of nuts and eggs.

Gazimon

Sprinting down the street
The only 'fast' food my birds get is the food that "magically" appears in their bowls after morning screams.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
We don't eat a lot of fast food and I'm very cautious about salt in Leia's diet, so she gets very little cooked human food. She gets the occasional nibble of home-made bread as a very special treat but even that contains a little salt. I sometimes offer her a bit of salad (I don't like dressings in mine) because I want her to eat more veg and she's more likely to eat it if she thinks we're sharing.

She would really like to share my crisps, but she doesn't get any.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I eat pretty healthy and share with mine if it's not processed. Most is homemade.
Crunchy cheese curls though are my downfall, and I buy a tiny single serving bag about once a month.
And yep, birdies do get a nibble. It's crack to them too! They know that small bag instantly.

BirdWorld

Nope