• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

BB Parrot

Bird &Fish

Moving in
Hi. I’m thinking about getting a BB parakeet and have heard positive and negative from people on this forum and in person. Cat the Great told me on this forum about what their experience with BB’s is like. Does anyone have something they want to say about this bird such as if I should reconsider? Thanks

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
Last edited:

Bird &Fish

Moving in
Ok, so I have thought about ruling out the BB from my list of parrots I’m looking into getting. My list is either a mini macaw, African ring neck, superb parrot, red rump parakeet, or BB. Which bird would any of you recommend? It does not need to be a good talker or mimic, it just cannot be insanely loud like a large macaw or cockatoo. Thanks

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I will say I do not recommend a mini when you are looking for not very loud. My mini(Illigers) is loud in quantity and sound. Not as loud as a large macaw, but it does come pretty close. The scream he does most is louder then what the large macaws do most. People with multiple large macaws have commented my Illigers is way louder then their macaws. They only get really loud for a few minutes and rest of the time make noises quieter then what my guy does a lot. Not every Illigers will be like this, but it would be risky in my opinion. I really depends on why the bird can’t be too loud, if you live with neighbors that could complain about your bird I would not recommend mini macaws.

No experience with the other species as my own companion birds but greys tend to whistle and not scream like macaws. The whistles can be very loud, it will depend on your living situation if you can handle that. Hands down best advice is to try and meet up with some of the species you are interested in if you can!

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
You haven't mentioned Indian ringnecks, which are more common than ARN, so may be easier to meet in person. If you're looking at specific birds already, like at a rescue, I'd recommend just visiting them a few times and seeing which ones pick you and which ones you resonate with. I didn't expect to fall for a ringneck when I did and was visiting conures, but my guy was watching me and won me over pretty quickly.

When I was in the research stage, I had kind of narrowed things down based on my lifestyle and my house setup, but I really had NO idea which parrot personalities would click best with me and me for them. Now that I volunteer at a sanctuary it's been interesting to discover which species I'm really drawn to and which I'm not - the results aren't what I thought before I met them all!

Bird &Fish

Moving in
I will say I do not recommend a mini when you are looking for not very loud. My mini(Illigers) is loud in quantity and sound. Not as loud as a large macaw, but it does come pretty close. The scream he does most is louder then what the large macaws do most. People with multiple large macaws have commented my Illigers is way louder then their macaws. They only get really loud for a few minutes and rest of the time make noises quieter then what my guy does a lot. Not every Illigers will be like this, but it would be risky in my opinion. I really depends on why the bird can’t be too loud, if you live with neighbors that could complain about your bird I would not recommend mini macaws.

No experience with the other species as my own companion birds but greys tend to whistle and not scream like macaws. The whistles can be very loud, it will depend on your living situation if you can handle that. Hands down best advice is to try and meet up with some of the species you are interested in if you can!
I’m looking at a hahns mini macaw. There is a large distance between my house and the neighborhoods (1 acre) I don’t want an incredibly loud bird because there are some times during the day when I am not home and other family members are. I would have to discuss if they are ok with the noise even if it is only a few times per day. There is no HOA so I’m good other than that for noise. At a sanctuary near me, they have a African Ringneck as well. Other than that, what about the superb parrot anyone? Are they super loud?

Last edited:

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I’m looking at a hahns mini macaw. There is a large distance between my house and the neighborhoods (1 acre) I don’t want an incredibly loud bird because there are some times during the day when I am not home and other family members are. I would have to discuss if they are ok with the noise even if it is only a few times per day. There is no HOA so I’m good other than that for noise. At a sanctuary near me, they have a African Ringneck as well. Other than that, what about the superb parrot anyone? Are they super loud?
I only met one supurb parrot and he was rather quiet and made cute noises but that’s just one individual. Have you tried looking up their noises in YT?

I have met a few hahns macaws but they were rather afraid of me and didn’t utter a sound. In my country Hahns macaws are said to be the loudest of the macaws and a horrible scream. Not sure how true that is, but maybe something you can expand your research on. Not my experience from what I hear on YT but if you can go to a zoo or breeder it would give you some first hand experience, sounds don’t convey very well over video so in real life might sound very different from a video. They are great little birds though, from what you say I think it should be fine as long as your family isn’t overly annoyed by the specific sound of their scream. Hahns tend to be fair talkers so he/she may start talking more then screaming but that is not guarantee of course.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I fostered a BB (canary-winged) and adored him. I did not find him to be noisy at all. But everyone has different sound tolerances. I know a volunteer at the rescue I help with that refuses to foster a canary-winged because he doesn't like the pitch of their voices. My foster was very smart and all he wanted to do was sit on your shoulder. He didn't want scritches but wanted to be on you. A lovely elderly woman adopted him who can sit with him and spoil him. I think before you adopt any bird you should either try to meet some or at least listen to some youtube videos to hear what they sound like. "Noisy" is really relative.

haze

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
I don't know the exact decibel of them, but most people say they are louder than sun conures and nanday conures. Sun conures can reach up to 120+ decibels, and are considered to be louder than the large macaws even, so that indicates that the hahn's macaw must be about 120+decibels maximum. (when they actually scream, they would not be this loud constantly unless you just had a bird that loves to scream)

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
If quietness is a main concern, I think Pionus parrots are usually quiet and calm birds. If they’re hormonal or alarmed they can be loud but otherwise you basically have a little guy quietly chortling to himself and he plays or chews.

Beebee parakeets are on my list of bird possibilities. They are funny and bold and playful. I’ve met some really engaging Beebees. Also they’re related to Quaker parakeets, one of my favorite species.

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
If quietness is a main concern, I think Pionus parrots are usually quiet and calm birds. If they’re hormonal or alarmed they can be loud but otherwise you basically have a little guy quietly chortling to himself and he plays or chews.

Beebee parakeets are on my list of bird possibilities. They are funny and bold and playful. I’ve met some really engaging Beebees. Also they’re related to Quaker parakeets, one of my favorite species.
I didn't know they were related to Quakers:wideyed:

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Yes, I looked at a phylogenetic tree of many parrot species and bee bees are the most closely related to Quakers. I think they look similar and apparently beebees are particular about breeding in captivity.

I thought my neighbor’s beebee was very cute and funny.