• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baytril Injections

Lauren Skeeter

Moving in
My bird, Skeeter, has an upper respitory infection and my vet has prescribed 5 days of Baytril injections. I have to give them to him at home and I am very nervous to do it. My vet told me to locate his keelbone and then give the injection on either side. The needle should go in about half way with little angle on the needle. My concern is just finding the right place in his breast muscle. How hi or low on his body? Thanks for your help!

Lauren

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
one thing that will make it easier for you is using rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball to wet the chest area. that way you can easily see what you are doing with the muscle exposed. I'm at work, so cant post a pic right now, but I always gave the injections in area above the midline of the chest area and would use different sides each time. not a very good description, I know. sorry

Lauren Skeeter

Moving in
So when he is just standing, is it around the area that sticks out the most? The rounded part?

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
in that area or right above should be fine

here's a quote i pulled for you from a VMA website that might help and also a video.

Intramuscular injections
Intramuscular injections are often given more frequently in avian patients than in cats and dogs where IV catheters are more common. However, studies have shown that muscle necrosis happens frequently with intramuscular injections. Therefore other routes of administration should be considered when available. IM injections are most commonly given in the pectoral muscles located on either side of the keel bone. Due to the renal shunt of birds, where blood in the lower part of the G.I and caudal extremities may pass directly through the kidneys prior to being filtered by the liver, it is recommended that injections be given in the upper two thirds of the birds’ breast muscling. These muscles also contain a higher number of capillaries making aspiration before giving the injection even more important.

video that may be helpful - couldn't watch it really because I'm at work, but there are probably others on youtube as well

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
skeeter is adorable. That looks fine to me. I'd choose the upper area of what you circled. I usually just did it either right above or below the center of the chest

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
you are very welcome! I hope it all goes smoothly for you. You might have an easier time if you can wrap him in a washcloth or thin hand towel to keep him still and leave the area exposed that you need. hold him on his back, but not totally flat. you want his head elevated higher than feet. and don't wrap him too tight. don't want to squish his cute self:heart:

Kelli

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kelli
My bird was given baytril for infection before but it was a liquid in a syringe - injections would make me nervous too!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Why painful injections when this medication can be given via syringe in the birds mouth?

Odin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
I hope he gets better! I wouldn't be able to do that!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Why did the vet choose to have you do injections rather than oral medication? Just curious. I had to do IM vitamin injections for one of my birds several years ago. She did get through it but because she needed the injections over a long period of time there was scarring and poor muscle growth in that area. At least you only have a few days of having to do this!

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
Well I just gave him his first shot and he is still alive so I guess that is good! The syringe was a lot harder to push in then I thought. But 4 more days to go!
Very good! :highfive:It is nerve wracking to have to do that, I feel for you. :hug8: not much longer though:laughing12:

Lauren Skeeter

Moving in
He said that giving oral medication poses a greater risk for aspiration of the medicine which could compromise his respitory infection. I gave him his last shot today, but his poop has started to get darker and sticky. Could this be from all of the medication? I am going to call the vet back today.

Lauren Skeeter

Moving in
Skeeter is eating still, he is actually eating more this morning then I have seen since he has been sick. He was very active last night, about 15 hours after his injection, which makes me think that some of his lethargy is caused by the Baytril. He is still not as talkative or active as normal, but he sounds better. I know he still doesn't feel good though and I am worried.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Is the stool still a greenish color, or as it has gotten darker has it become a blackish stool? A blackish stool can mean internal bleeding, so if that is the case, I would let your vet know about this change.

I am not sure what changes that the medicine would give his stool, but hopefully your vet could answer that over the phone.

Matt