• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baylee is almost 10 years old

Crazy4parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
And I want to be prepared for the senior stage in her life so I want to know what are the signs of arthritis in lovebirds?

So far she is super active (jumps, climbs up and down) I just want to be as much prepared as possible..
Does she needs senior pellets? You know like dogs have senior dog food.. ? Any especial vitamins or supplements I should get her just in case?

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I don't think diet would need to be altered. Unless you know there is a health issue as in any vitamin, calcium deficiency, high cholesterol or the worst like fatty liver disease.

A blood panel done by your Vet can rule out any diet related issues. As for arthritis, that's part of aging. Proper perches of different shapes and ones appropriate for their feet is a must.

Many have added success with offering senior nutriberries. I love fresh ginger and steep this for my older dogs. It's a good anti infammatory and some birds can benifit from it grated into chop. Your 10 year old is still a young bird.

Awesome question to ask, preparing for the future. :rockby: :heart:

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
I don't think diet would need to be altered. Unless you know there is a health issue as in any vitamin, calcium deficiency, high cholesterol or the worst like fatty liver disease.

A blood panel done by your Vet can rule out any diet related issues. As for arthritis, that's part of aging. Proper perches of different shapes and ones appropriate for their feet is a must.

Many have added success with offering senior nutriberries. I love fresh ginger and steep this for my older dogs. It's a good anti infammatory and some birds can benifit from it grated into chop. Your 10 year old is still a young bird.

Awesome question to ask, preparing for the future. :rockby: :heart:
Well sadly vets here don’t do blood test unless the bird is dying. So Baylee has never got a blood test even though I had asked and they said they get too stressed bla bla bla and that they can die while taking the sample.
People here don’t have the mentality To take the birds to a vet I belong to a 2% :O She recently has been going through a bacterial infection in her crop. It was all diagnosed with the vet on the phone by sending him pictures of her poop and the symptoms she had. So he prescribed 7 days of antibiotics wide spectrum (he is right now in USA) and good avian vets here are very few. Like 1-2. Most good avian vets prefer to go to USA to work where there is a mentality of taking birds to the vet.

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Crazy4parrots I would suggest DMG and Red Palm oil for an aging bird without arthritis. If she has arthritis you would need to add Metacam to the other two.

I believe Dr. Wissman is retired now, but she is a great veterinarian. I used DMG on Jasper for years, since she was so compromised - healthwise.

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
@Crazy4parrots I would suggest DMG and Red Palm oil for an aging bird without arthritis. If she has arthritis you would need to add Metacam to the other two.

I believe Dr. Wissman is retired now, but she is a great veterinarian. I used DMG on Jasper for years, since she was so compromised - healthwise.
Ohh I already give her DMG but not red palm oil. DMG is the best thing that exist cause I’m giving it to her since 2014 and she really hasn’t got sick until now with the bacterial infection.
will look into the red palm oil.

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Is there a special red palm oil for birds? Or I can give her any red palm oil?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Let BayLee know she is doing great for me please. Plus congrats to you for being such a good bird Mom. I have but one suggestion, to look into giving her the Nutriberries for seniors. Good things are in them.

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
I have been giving her the regular nutriberries. But will write down and have in mind the senior nutriberries instead. And thanks!
Let BayLee know she is doing great for me please. Plus congrats to you for being such a good bird Mom. I have but one suggestion, to look into giving her the Nutriberries for seniors. Good things are in them.

winniezon

Jogging around the block
i don't have any advice but well done for these 10 years! i bet baylee has changed your life a bit:)

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
@Love My Zons just to get you an idea there was a time where i took her to other vet and told them I wanted Baylee to get blood panel test and they asked me is she dying? And I was like no it’s just to know like an annual check up and she said to me look annual check ups are for dogs,cats,horses, farm animals and even hamsters, rats and bunnies and I then went ahead and told her but in USA people take them annually to do check ups and even Budgies get blood test done she looked at me and say well those birds must be in pretty bad shape and I laughed took my phone out of my purse and showed her AA, in that time someone posted that their budgie have passed their annual check up so I showed her that thread and asked her does it look sick and she said no it actually looks in great shape and I told her and it just got a blood test done and she was like oh maybe they thought the bird was dying and I felt like ugh she will never understand :cautious: :eek::banghead::banghead::wideyed::mad2::nocomment: So she checked Baylee physically did the poop test and weighed her and off we went back home. It’s like omg! I even asked Baylee’s actual vet last year and he said the same! Argh and he is a very good avian vet that works for Dr.K in Florida! And it’s weird cause they do blood test to small animals. So I believe it’s a veterinary thing that comes from my country believes!