• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baths for a mousebird

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roxie

Moving in
Real Name
Roxanne
Hi, I am wondering if anyone can offer advice? My mousebird is about 3 weeks old. I am still hand feeding him through a syringe. This can be a very messy affair and all down the front of his chest and the sides of his face is dried food. What would be the best way to clean him up?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I warm wet piece of paper towel can get off handfeeding formula. You do need to dry after to make sure that you baby does not get cold.

Matt

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Susanne and I take them to the sink! Rinse and dry.{they don't like it:p}

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Susanne and I take them to the sink! Rinse and dry.{they don't like it:p}
----------------------------------------

This is ONLY with the tail, which can get crusted with poop and food. As to on the head/face and chest, you can dampened these areas with a warm wet papertowel, and massage the area between your fingers to work the food loose then wipe clean. DON"T soak the bird because they have a hard time warming their body back up. After you clean the baby you might want to take the cage outside so that it can sun bath. All mousebirds skin is a dark color, almost black which facilitates the body to absorb heat. Also have some clean sand in the bottom of the cage. Mousebirds will also shimmy and groom in the sand.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
You can also place a wet lettuce leaf in the cage and the mousebird will rub itself against it to try and clean up. Usually after this they will go down to the sand to finish cleaning up and to help dry themselves.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Oh I am sorry, I guess I made it sound like I dunk him..:embarassed: No no..I do it in the sink, but use a paper towel too.My apologies.:p

vanillacoke920

Meeting neighbors
No, I don't have a mousebird but I have a friend who has one named Woodstock. He is very informative about the mousebirds. Woodstock is cuddly

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Hi...I breed mousebirds, and Carole has a spoiled rotten Blue-Naped one called Gryphon.

I have seen several of the Woodstock videos on the internet. he is a white-backed mousebird.

vanillacoke920

Meeting neighbors
Hi...I breed mousebirds, and Carole has a spoiled rotten Blue-Naped one called Gryphon.

I have seen several of the Woodstock videos on the internet. he is a white-backed mousebird.
Correct, that's Woodstock :)

Status
Not open for further replies.