• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bathing

stevepoulter

Moving in
How did you guys get your cockatiel to use a bird bath.

I have the kind that hangs on the cage but they won't go anywhere near it, I left it in the cage for two days and nothing.

I have resorted to using a mist sprayer but that wets everything around the cage including the carpet.

The bath would be ideal. Any tips?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
My cockatiel would never use the bird bath either. I misted. Can you just put towels down or something like that around his cage to try to minimize the water getting on the carpet?

BirdManDan

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dan
If he is handleable, you can get a shower perch and take him in when you shower and get him showered that way. Try not to spray him directly let the water fall down on him but you can start with the mister in the shower until he gets used to the more forceful shower water.
shower perch.jpg

stevepoulter

Moving in
They are not currently handleable as I've only had them two months.

I suppose I'll keep misting until they are comfortably at being handled.

I had a cockatiel many years ago and we used to bath her in the bath, but she was completely OK at being handled.

Guess it will just take time.

How often do you guys mist.

These two have many flat platforms in their cage on which they sometimes poo on and walk through the poo. So their feet at dirty as well as the bottom of the tails. Misting doesn't really help clean these parts.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
If they go out onto a table, maybe you can try a shallow pan of water. First you can try splashing in it a bit to entice them. If they get into it you can then try misting over them so it floats down gently. My birds like to bathe in the morning, only on sunny days lol.