• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bathing Your Parrot

Status
Not open for further replies.

KatherinesBirds

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
I have recently adopted a Meyer's Parrot who loves to bathe in his water dish. This is fine with me but I am wondering if there is anything out there in the stores that is recommended for spraying on the bird? Are there any formulas for homemade stuff that a person can put together like water and whatever in a spray bottle that is safe? I am wondering about our own tap water since it is so high in minerals and occasionally smells something awful!! I have switched to bottled spring water for everyone. I am currently using a humidifier on the counter near my birds. When it is turned off they all seem to dive for the water dish!

Any advice on bathing and how often? What do you use?

Katherine;)

Chantilly Lace

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
You can use any water in a water bottle and spray them, or you can just get a perch in the shower! That is my favorite way for sure. They have so much fun in there. You can do it as often as they like it, but I would say at least once a week, and more when they are molting. If you are using a spray bottle, then I recommend doing it every day, since they will never get really soaked like in the shower. Some people put aloe vera in the water, but that is not really necessary unless they are very itchy for some reason. A humidifier is good for them, especially since you are up in the mountains!

KatherinesBirds

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
Thanks! I was considering Aloe Vera and bottled water. Do you know if it is the Aloe Vera juice, gel or what and how much to mix? I wouldn't want to do any harm to my bird of course. I would love to put them on a shower perch but I don't think it would stick to my shower walls which are river rock. I am considering just putting a tarp down on the kitchen floor and a shallow pan and seeing if he takes to it! My lovebird just had a counter top bath in the kitchen and it worked fine. He dove in like he had always done this!

Thanks for the suggestions and anyone else have some unique way of bathing birds?

Katherine:heart:

lalagimp

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kayla
I actually mixed some myself before but the girls still don't like being spritzed with it.
They bathe in their water dish too.
One product is very light and the mist dispensed is very fine :
Rain-harrisonbirdfoods.com

It's a sub brand to harrisons.
We use their pellets and Sunshine Factor
This was very easy to use without them flying off instantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.