• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bathing techniques

Maggiebird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Sally
Hello everyone! I wanted to see how your birds take baths and how you got them to! My budgie Picasso will not take a bath no matter what so I basically have to spray him lightly with a spray bottle which he will tolerate sometimes. It would also be fun to see everyone’s ideas! he refuses to do it’s a problem for me.

Last edited:

Ember-Tiel

Jogging around the block
Ember just doesn't take baths, showers, mists, or anything. I left bath water next to her for a week and a half and she just wouldn't do anything other then drink the water, so I've had to force bathing on her. :unsure1:

Jade on the other hand loves baths and showers, and he usually takes one almost every morning.

JewellBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Miranda
My budgies love their pet drinking fountain, they just go to town with that! They will sit under it with their feathers fluffed and use it at least 3-4 times a week. I wish I could upload a video of them using it, it is so cute to watch! I have this one for them: https://www.amazon.com/Veken-Founta...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

My two conures take a bath in a shallow bowl, or try to take one in their water bowl. My cockatiel Milo on the other hand still hasn't decided how he likes to take a bath yet. He has no interest in the pet fountain that the budgies use or even the sink with the faucet on a little.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
There really is no urgent need to get a budgie batheing. If they don't want to then that's their choice.
That said, in the wild running water is usually fresher than a pool so it makes sense that the pet fountains are popular. Indeed my budgies only bathe in a cheap ebay cat fountain.

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
Wet kale is worth a try, but like @Ripshod said there's no rush.

OkiF

Sitting on the front steps
Our lovebirds love(d) a small dish full of water. First standing on the edge drinking then slowly getting more and more into it. A bit agitating the surface of the water and making bubbles seems to be entertaining and exciting. Showering under the tap was also fun and Inko chan even enjoyed joining the shower with me (in summer when just taking cold shower to remove sweat and refresh). But the dish is still a big favourite, sometimes if some seeds are floating it seems also motivating to just go in. From very shy and uninterested by water Botan turned into "Look! I think I am duck actually!".

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
A bit agitating the surface of the water and making bubbles seems to be entertaining and exciting
This is how I do it too, I have the bird on the back of my hand, then get close to the water and tap it so it moves :)

The tap is also a winner in our house too :bathtime:

Having a bathing buddy always helps;

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
We love a good water bowl! Or the spray bottle occasionally!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Great suggestions already, I just wanted to add that my birds will only bathe early in the day, and it has to be sunny outside.

elitys

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Elise
Baby (tiel) only tolerates the mist from when a human takes a shower. Russet (tiel) likes a shallow plate with a bit of water in the bottom and delicately dips his chest and beak in to flick water on himself. Poppy (conure) is a fish and loves to bathe in a plate that I'm holding (as her human servant) under a weak stream of sink water. The plate fills up and she dives off my hand-perch repeatedly and splashes around under the faucet.