• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bathing in food bowl

Chatot5

Meeting neighbors
This budgie is driving me insane. She has started to go roll around in her seed dish to throw all the seeds out of it. I looked it up and it said that the seed might be bad, so I got a new bag of seed. That didn't help, so I switched from a stainless steel bowl to a plastic one with a roof around it. This worked for about two weeks and now she is doing it again. She basically just lowers her body into it and swishes back and forth to knock all the seed out. Why is she doing this? And how do I stop her?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
That is nesty behaviour. The seed is fine, not bad. And she´s definitely not bathing. You will need to find a way to stop it.

One of my lovebird hens is a nightmare for it. I have found a good solution is a seed/pellet holder like this;
feeder.jpg

Tina&Mill

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tianna Schwindel
Have you tried feeding your budgie some pellets along with the seeds? I know my Conure used to throw things out of her bowl, so I started adding new things every day, like a few bits of dried papaya, or a few sunflower seeds and that captured her interest enough to stop.

Your budgie also might want a bath! Have you tried taking them out and giving them a shallow bowl of water to bathe in? Or getting a metal (or plastic) bird bath dish? (I recommend the ones without the covers, because they are easier to clean).

She also might be bored! does she have plenty of toys to play with? you could try taking a separate empty food bowl and filling it with tiny pieces of crumpled up or shredded paper to imitate the seeds and see if shell play in that instead!

I hope that this gets better! I do know how annoying it can be when our birds decide to waste their food instead of eating it ^^

Chatot5

Meeting neighbors
Your budgie also might want a bath! Have you tried taking them out and giving them a shallow bowl of water to bathe in? Or getting a metal (or plastic) bird bath dish? (I recommend the ones without the covers, because they are easier to clean).

She also might be bored! does she have plenty of toys to play with? you could try taking a separate empty food bowl and filling it with tiny pieces of crumpled up or shredded paper to imitate the seeds and see if shell play in that instead!
She has a bathtub in her cage so thats covered...

I feel like she has lots of toys - I’ll try adding some interesting foods to the seed and see if that helps. And look for a better dish. Or one she can’t play in at least.
89AB621F-C82D-458D-89FB-CE5335601A6A.jpeg

Tina&Mill

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tianna Schwindel
Ahh I see!
Looking at your cage bout had a mni heart attack, looks so much like mine Lol.

It looks like your budgie has plenty of entertainment too!

you can also take a paper towel and put it over teh food bowl, secure with a rubber band and poke a small hole (or 1 inch by 1 inch) this way there isnt enough room for her to bathe in it, and it encourages foraging!

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
I know how you feel all to well.
As Zara said if it's not nesty behaviour now it will lead to it later on. Try a feeder like linked, but be aware that if she is like my one she will resort to manually emptying by beak (as well as trying to squish herself in :rolleyes:) if you can't find something that works try feeding her in a ceramic cat bowl (or something similar) on the floor.