• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bathing in apple cider vinegar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TikiBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessica
I put apple cider vinegar in my birds water bowls maybe once a week, and today Tiki decided to bathe in it... of course.... Now he smells awful.

Is this bad for him? Should I re-bathe him??

jamie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jamie
You can try bathing him again, but the scent will go away soon. My conures do the same thing occasionally. I don't think that there is anything bad about it. You might consider giving him two dishes ... maybe he will use one for drinking and one for bathing :)

TikiBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessica
Knowing Tiki he would drink the one without the vinegar and bathe in the one with vinegar:rofl:

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Squeeky splashes his water and I put ACV in it everyday. His feathers are fine.

J*M*L

Real Name
Julie
You might consider giving him two dishes ... maybe he will use one for drinking and one for bathing :)
Yes, just make sure you clearly mark the bowls "Bathing" and "Drinking" so that he knows the difference. ;)

jamie

Real Name
Jamie
:D You joke, but it can work. I've successfully done it with my conures and lorikeets :D It also helps if one of the dishes is smaller than the other one, and if you put the drinking dish next to the food dish. It may not work with all birds but it has worked for mine :D

I don't have to do it for my lorikeets anymore because they are all eating a liquid diet now. So, I give them a dish for their food and a second dish for water only- that they most often use for bathing. They rarely drink any actual water since they are on a liquid diet :D

Haggie has two bathing dishes in his cage & he will go from one to the other when he's taking a bath. hahaha

Last edited:

J*M*L

Real Name
Julie
:D You joke, but it can work. I've successfully done it with my conures and lorikeets :D It also helps if one of the dishes is smaller than the other one, and if you put the drinking dish next to the food dish. It may not work with all birds but it has worked for mine :D
I know honey, I'm just messin with ya. :dancing:

Ede-bird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Maureen
Our Lovebirds do the same as Squeaky - bath in the water dish all the time - their feathers look great! :)

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
Is the smell like a week old gym sock??? 'Cause that's what Tango smells like after :)

I do like to spray him with an aloe mix (Avi Rain) in-between to avoid his skin drying out from the vinegar, but that's mainly because he had plucking issues before.

prettyinpink

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica
i didn't know people are giving their birds vinegar? Is it good for them?

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
It helps fight bacteria especially, my vet prescribed it daily for the Grey who's battling a GI infection.

jamie

Real Name
Jamie
It helps fight bacteria especially, my vet prescribed it daily for the Grey who's battling a GI infection.
I just wanted to add to this ... the vinegar helps to acidify (lower the pH) of the bird's digestive system. This helps the "good" bacteria to flourish and to limit the growth of the "bad" bacteria.

silvermuse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Annemarie & John
I just wanted to add to this ... the vinegar helps to acidify (lower the pH) of the bird's digestive system. This helps the "good" bacteria to flourish and to limit the growth of the "bad" bacteria.
Good to know Jamie! Is this the same for Lorikeets also? Gillies does still drink water, but usually just to mix with his powdered nectar. He gets a high quality liquid nectar in the morning and fresh organic fruits and veggies for dinner and the powdered nectar for in between times.

Annemarie

jamie

Real Name
Jamie
Good to know Jamie! Is this the same for Lorikeets also? Gillies does still drink water, but usually just to mix with his powdered nectar. He gets a high quality liquid nectar in the morning and fresh organic fruits and veggies for dinner and the powdered nectar for in between times.

Annemarie
Yes, I often use it in my lorikeet foods ... the only issue I had was when I was still using Avico's nectar powder. When I added the vinegar, it would cause the powder to "floculate" and it would not stay mixed for very long (it will always eventually separate, but the vinegar caused it to separate more quickly). Now, I use Goldenfeast and I do not have that problem.

I mix up a gallon of water with the appropriate amount of Apple Cider vinegar added to it. It's easier for me to do that than it is to mix each dish individually.

Ashley

Real Name
Ashley
I use aloe juice in my birds water and they bathe in until i changed them over to waterbottles.

prettyinpink

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica
oh, thank you! I did not know that, I'll have to pick up some!

Status
Not open for further replies.