• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bathing help

Tandie

Sitting on the front steps
Hello everyone, it has been a long while since I have posted but once again, I require help from the bird experts here!
I recently adopted a coffin’s cockatoo and her feathers are dirty! I have been able to shower her a few times and you can see brown dirt in her white feathers . Looking for suggestions on how to clean her up as the water running over her is just not enough. Unsure if there is a safe shampoo for birds.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
What is making her feathers dirty?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If it’s just dirt from lack of bathing then I’d personally stick to plain water.

If it’s something toxic or gross like tobacco smoke you may be best to carefully wash the bird with some well diluted Dawn dish soap.

Tandie

If it’s just dirt from lack of bathing then I’d personally stick to plain water.

If it’s something toxic or gross like tobacco smoke you may be best to carefully wash the bird with some well diluted Dawn dish soap.
I wish I knew what it was! I didn’t entirely notice it because I tried not to handle her right away when I brought her home last month.
Now that I am allowed to scritch her head and she trusts me enough to go into the shower, I can see and feel it on her feathers.
It becomes even much more obvious on her body when she is wet yet the water doesn’t seem to rinse it off. Tried to scrub it a little with my fingers today but didn’t seem to help

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Can you post a pic?

Tina&Mill

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tianna Schwindel
What does the dirt feel like? Is it greasy, or sticky?
Or does it just feel like her feathers?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
As @Shezbug mentioned, dawn dish soap might help. It looks like cigarette smoke or grease. She’s so cute!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I was wondering if maybe cigarette smoke too. Do you know if her former owner was a smoker? She's very cute. Life with a goffin is an adventure! Thanks for adopting her.

Tandie

What does the dirt feel like? Is it greasy, or sticky?
Or does it just feel like her feathers?
It just feels like her feathers are less soft and thicker - like there is something coating them. Not slippery like grease per say and definitely not sticky. I am sorry that I can’t be more descriptive!!

Tandie

I was wondering if maybe cigarette smoke too. Do you know if her former owner was a smoker? She's very cute. Life with a goffin is an adventure! Thanks for adopting her.
I was wondering that as well, I never thought to ask them. Thank you - I also think she is adorable. Adjusting to life with a bird who wants to be involved in everything we are doing :)

HemlokHex

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mischa
Warmer water will definitely help. I wonder whether a few drops of orange oil/dilute OrangePower detergent might remove it? Since orange isn't bird-toxic. Dilute euky oil... a few drops... I assume would be birb-friendly at low doses and is an excellent cleanser.
Possibly just time and grooming (and moulting) will clean her up. Provide an open bath for her and encourage plenty of baths. Take her in the shower (a good shower perch would help) and spend time there with her.
What a sweetie.
Best of luck to you with your new Goffy!