• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bathing habits of your birds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do your birds like to bathe or shower (maybe both or not at all)?

Cassius (hawkhead parrot) is a bather. He hears the water start to run and flys over at lightspeed to get wet. Show him a spray bottle though and he is gone in less than a second :hehe: He loves to get wet in the sink and afterward gives you a shower too. He loves to fly on my head and flap when he is done... it can get messy :rofl:

Cyan (blue front amazon) likes a good shower. She doesnt much know what to make of a dish or water, and forget the sink. Show her the spray bottle and shegets her feathers all floofed out so she can get a good soaking. She flaps like crazy and it gets all over :D

Lancelot (Medium Sulfur crested Cockatoo) Wil do both. I think she prefers a misting, but if you run the vacuum, she is guaranteed to try to take a bath in her water dish :rofl: Start misting her and she flaps and flaps, loving every second of it.

Coke-a-moe (senegal parrot) hates all forms of water. If you try to mist him he will "run for cover" and tell you "no, stop it!" :rofl: Very very rarely I have seen parts of his body wet (mainly just his forehead :hehe:). He would much rather act like a cat and just clean by the preening meathod. No water added :)

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan

Coke-a-moe (senegal parrot) hates all forms of water. If you try to mist him he will "run for cover" and tell you "no, stop it!" :rofl: Very very rarely I have seen parts of his body wet (mainly just his forehead :hehe:). He would much rather act like a cat and just clean by the preening meathod. No water added :)
Must be a poi thing because I have yet to get Pretty to bathe. Going to have my hubby try the shower thing.

Prince, Lefty, Goober, and Chatters(male tiels) all LOVE the spray bottle. While the girls Princess, Akoya, and Betty don't. I've tried several things with them and they don't like any of them so they just get misted whether they get into it or not. Akoya will sometimes get excited about it but not most of the time.

Gwen(Parrotlet) likes to bath in her water dish.:rolleyes: I've tried giving her a bath tub but she doesn't use it but I have busted her using her water dish.

Out of my budgies Greycie likes any form of water. Wet parsley hanging in the cage, being misted or taking a bath she's my water girl.
Chirp is always first in line for the bath tub though and she hates being misted. She'll also jump on the wet parsley.
Chuck and Larry do not like being misted. And haven't really seen them use the tub either.
And the others really don't care. They'll use the bath sometimes but don't get excited over it, and they'll let me mist them too but not really care one way or the other.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Tango ( sun conure ) and Jasper ( Hahns Macaw ) prefer baths. They both bathe pretty much daily and if I don't put their lixit bath in their cage then they just use their water bowls. Jasper is a big splasher and also washes the bottom of the cage and anything within 2 feet of the cage while he is at it :hehe:

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
My Hahns likes cold water in a 12 inch plantpot saucer. He wants me right by him so I get just as wet.
My Goffin likes a spray bottle and it has never occurred to him to bathe in his water dish. He likes to use up a whole bottle and get soaked, along with everything else.
If I catch my BFA starting a bath in his water dish, he will enjoy a spray bottle bath. If I intitate it, he sits there glumly.
My OWA sometimes bathes in her water dish if I am not on schedule to take her into the shower. She loves to shower with me and cannot get wet enough - more more!

Stacy_b

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Stacy
Kiwi (Severe macaw) LOVES to shower on her shower perch. And loves to be towel dried

Kira (TAG) HATES the shower perch, but loves to bath in her water dish. We have to put her in the tub and shower her from above

Gabby (ekkie) LOVES showers, goes crazy on the shower perch.

Sam (U2) HATES EVERYTHING lol...its a fight to get him showered. I HATE showering him :(

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It cracks me up how many like to share the wetness :D Sometimes I feel like I got more of the shower than the bird :lol:

Seeing a budgie bathe on wet parsley, that has to be so cute!!

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Well Squeeky has gone through phases. First he loved water, then he hated water, and now he is ok with it again. He loves to take showers with me. What I do is get into the shower and leave the curtain just open enough to where he can fly in and land on me if he wants and I leave him on the medicine cabinet in the bathroom. He will come in and get splashed by me lol. He also doesn't mind getting misted by the spray bottle. He doesn't like bathing in water dishes though. I find this wierd because any other tiels I have had loved bathing in water dishes.

Juhi882

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Juhi
Mitthu (IRN).prefers to "dive" in his water bowl at first and then run down to his big dish of water for a perfect bath!! But he dosen't mind spray bottle as well.

Chhotu (IRN) loves the spray bottle and won't let mitthu anywhere near...!! he truly enjoys it. he'll have his eyes closed the entire time its just soo sweeet, i love watching him.

trout

Real Name
Bobby
Keahi likes to take a bath each time I change his water and also enjoys warm showers.

Fenway hates the shower, she will occasionally bath in a water dish but prefers to do it in her veggies.

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
Coke-a-moe (senegal parrot) hates all forms of water. If you try to mist him he will "run for cover" and tell you "no, stop it!" :rofl:
Jill that is hilarious!!!

I guess of all my birds Bobo likes to bath/shower the most (as in he would like one every day).
Then Besso the IRN, but only when he decides.:rolleyes:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Ruby would prefer not to shower but will allow me to get her drenched to the skin every day when I take her in the shower with me. I can also give her drenching aloe spritzes. I have caught her trying to squeeze her big ekkie body in a little water bowl on occasion and whenever the vacuum is running. LOL.

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would love to see Greycie in her parsley bath!! :laughing12:

Marie that is too funny. It is really cute seeing them try and get into a little bowl :p Cracks me up how the vacuum can trigger them to bathe. Ive noticed it with a lot of birds, I wonder what it is about that?

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I would love to see Greycie in her parsley bath!! :laughing12:

Marie that is too funny. It is really cute seeing them try and get into a little bowl :p Cracks me up how the vacuum can trigger them to bathe. Ive noticed it with a lot of birds, I wonder what it is about that?
Vacuum= birdie bath lol
We have tile throughout the entire house so Squeeky has never heard a vacuum.

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Im jealous Miriam. I would so love to go wood or tile. Life would be so much easier with my messy messy crew :lol:

LuvMyBirds

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barbara
My Sunni hates the shower, I've not tried to get in their with her in 20yrs (That means I tried the first couple of years-lol) Hates the spray bottle, I need to video when I give her a sink bath - Oh she hates it. Loves to bathe in her water bowl. When I see her start, I use to run get something Bigger: pan, bowl, pot I've tried them all. Only water bowl. I have found a trick though, I bought a huge lock in crock from the dog section and put in her house along with her water bowl. Yea!

Midori & Macho get agitated when I start their way with a spray bottle. Since they have only been here about 2 months now. I wasn't pushing the bathing issue - they are boys anyway :) Then last night Macho decides it's time and bathed in his water bowl, I ran got a huge casserole dish of tepid water and put it in the bottom. Nothing doing. Water bowl bather. Midori is holding out still. I'd try him in the shower but I don't have a sharkazon proof suit :D

logo89

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Logan
Lucy is a very complicated bird when it comes to this. She hates hates hates hates spray bottles she will attack them if she sees them. We tried out her shower perch today and she was horrified of the water while she was sitting on her perch then I started talking to her gave her a scritch then she hoopped onto me and she was more then happy to get in the water. But by far her favorite way to bathe is I get a 50 gallon rubbermaid container that is about 8 inches high and fill it with water and she LOVES it. She gets into it flapps around makes a huge mess then gets out runs around the room then goes back into the water and repeats the whole process again. And this will go on for a good 30 minutes.

LuvMyBirds

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barbara
Logan you must get video of that!

M

M.C Bird Rescue

Rico bathes when I vacum..so daily. hahahaha.
Alex I have to wrestle with! LITERALLY!
Tiki hates anything that is new..so I try and just mist her if possible.
Hahns and Blue Crown also have not had regular bathes, so they also get misted..they hate people
The parrotlets get a small shallow dish of water to play in, inside the cage.

logo89

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Logan
Logan you must get video of that!
I can try but when Lucy figures out the camera is out she becomes a little ham and decides to either pose or try and eat the camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.