• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bath frequency

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How often should a dog be bathed for its own health & well-being, not for human convenience or preferences?

I regularly brush Ruby. Her coat is shiny & in great shape. When you part the fur, her skin is healthy & clear. I trim her paws, etc.

But some people seem to send their dog to the groomers all the time. I keep getting groomer coupons from PetSmart. If she needs a bath, I’ll do it myself. How long would it take a sheltie to air dry?

Ruby is a sheltie. Here she is on a random day, not immediately after grooming.

15FA4B11-6642-4554-9966-28DE6B059A95.jpeg

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I bathe my Shih-Tzu every week when his allergies really flare up in a special medicated shampoo. But if he's doing well I bathe him every 2 weeks. He has a grooming done every 5 weeks like clockwork.

NightOwls

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Dogs shouldn't be bathed too frequently - it can be very drying to their skin.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I only bathe my dog when he's dirty or if he is having an allergy flare up and needs a medicated wash.

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She's a beauty :).

When I had my grooming business most (toy poodles) were done every 8 weeks, as they were also clipped at the same time. Larger long hair dogs usually 3 - 4 times a year unless they got dirty (like muddy). Air drying a long coat can take several hours. You can partial dry using a hair dryer. Keep the hair dryer at least a foot away & keep it moving back & forth. Move/lift the hair with your hand or a brush as well. It's called fluff drying.

Here's how I'd do it: Brush out first. Double shampoo (shampoo, rinse, shampoo, rinse). Then apply conditioner. Rinse well. Towel off. Then fluff dry until almost dry.